Thermals in The Rain

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We've got a lot of rain in the forecast this week in my neck of the woods.
I've also got a ton of hogs on two properties that I need to get after.
For those of you who've hunted in the rain with your thermal, how did you keep your few thousand dollar thermal protected while its coming down?
Going to be spot on stalking.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
For me . . . not worth it. To ruin an expensive thermal . . + . . get my quite expensive AR wet through and through . . . not worth it . . + . . most all the gear ( lights,etc) that I carry in my backpack . . + . . my Glock on my hip . . . not worth it. --- pruhdlr

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't go out in heavy rains, but if there are light rains, I will give it a go, sometimes. I wrap the scope in plastic except for the ends and carry it with a towel draped over it.

Rain hunting, IMHO, it best from some sort of box blind.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Which thermal is it? The pulsar trails, trijicons, and armasight pros are all submersable.

LSB Active Member
I have used my RXQ30 in more massive downpours than I can count. One in particular was a 30 minute walk back to the truck where I left the dang windows down! It's not constantly out in the rain for hours on end only that 1 time. I scan and if I see hogs I jump out and go shoot rain or not only thing that keeps me outta the game is lightning. The storms here in FL from April-October are insane. Daily. Guess I'm just lucky so far. I dunno how I'd feel if I dropped the kind of coin you guys do on those big $ thermals in teh rain though....might not be so brazen.

My manuals says it's IPX7 'submersible to 1m for 30 minutes'.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just looked up. Water resistant “can be dropped momentarily in water” according to manual.

I’ll let someone else test that theory. Hahahaha
Which thermal? The power switch is the weak link on the flair armasights, the pro line has a waterproof button I submerged all of my pros for about ten hours they still work.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Had consistent problems with Apollo standard in Noah's rains ... eventually we figured out it was the switch.
No issues with Zeus Pro, Apex, Trijicons ...

Ronnie243

Which thermal is it? The pulsar trails, trijicons, and armasight pros are all submersable.
Thanks for the info on Trijicon, I would think so for that kind of money. I received my reap about 10-days ago, came without a manual. Talked with customer support this a.m. and seller had requested to send me one two days ago. I have fooled around with it, and got it nucked, but have no idea how to sight it in. Mail should arrive shortly, maybe I can use it soon

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
Which thermal? The power switch is the weak link on the flair armasights, the pro line has a waterproof button I submerged all of my pros for about ten hours they still work.
I seem to remember something about that test you conducted.