Thermal scanner

DarkNight

LSB Member
I'm currently running the Pulsar Quantum hd 19a for scanning for incoming coyote. I like it but noticed my new XQ50 seems to spot coyotes better. Is this due to larger objective?
At any rate, I'd like to see what you guys run for thermal scanners. Subzero operation will be common and I like the lifespan of the Quantum with the eps3i battery but the LCD screen gets a bit frozen/grainy at those temps!
So what do u guys like to run?

cajun bob

LSB Member
We're running a similar setup. I have the XQ50 Trail and the Quantum XD38A. Glad to hear your EPS3 works well because I just ordered the EPS5.
Probably don't have to mention how the Quantum eats AA batteries. But I have learned not to change the batteries just because the battery indicator starts blinking. They will last quite a bit longer. The Quantum is a very good hand held but the newer and larger optic XQ50 is much sharper. Also the Quantum is so 2016. Newer similar models will probably be sharper.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use a Armasight Zeus 3-24x75mm 30hz for my scanner. Does alright.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Short distance scanner

PAS-29/COTI, 10mm 1x 320(30)

hVgeChIh.jpg

PID inside 150yds ... detection ... 500yds ... besides short distance, the main downside of this device is no battery pack. In zero-F weather, i get about 15m max before having to change the battery. Fortunately the battery cap is easily accessible with the device on my head and battery changes with gloved hands can be done. The plus of this device is that if I see critter with the thermal, I can shoot it with the laser ... as the images are aligned.

==
Medium distance scanner

ATN ODIN, 17mm 1x 320(30)

d0qhoskh.jpg

PID out to 500yds in some conditions ... detection ... out to 1200yds in some conditions ... with IRD ext. battery pack runs on helmet for 1 month plus. Has PVS-14 form factor so runs in dual mount beside 14. Allows critter detection while rolling on 4-wheeler. Main down side is image is not as clear as OASYS core devices. But surprisingly useful, given that it is olde ATN device. I use an olde Aaron amber glass filter screwed on the back to reduce brightness to below headache inducing limits. The glass amber filter is MUCH clearer than the wilcox plastic ones.

==
Long Distance scanner (no pic yet)

TEO Mk3 60mm 4.5x 640(60) just upgraded my 35mm to 60mm and still getting used to it. Almost useless for coop patrol now (which leaf is that I see !? :D ) but scanning items 400+ yds away it is good at.

==
New Medium distance scanner (no pic yet)

I ordered an IR-Patrol ... and a 3x magnifier. I am hoping this will replace the ODIN on my head in 1x mode and the Mk3 35mm on rifle with 3x magnifier for coop patrol ... though 1x unmagnified might work better.
I will switch the ODIN to the .22lr for (semi) permanent rat patrol ... got M-69 mount, but need to carve on it a little. The ODIN is apparently an L-3 housing whereas the M-69 is carson housing compatible..

DarkNight

LSB Member
I like the wider fov for scanning for coyote then go to my pulsar xq50 for the shot. I'm amazed how long the eps3i battery lasts in the cold but am looking for a longer detection range & a non-lcd screen. My quantum hd19 didn't like the subzero temps last night. It still works but gets a bit more pixelated in the cold.
The ir patrol is apparently one good image but I'll have to work up to that expenditure.

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just started to use FLIR's new PTS233. The image is significantly better than my PS32! The weight is manageable and the FOV is generous. We were pig hunting last week in TX with the temps in the low 20's. The batteries lasted close to 4 hours and were easy to change. It's ability to be used as a back up scope is a big plus. I can easily see this scope being used for shooting out to 150 yards. The new core is impressive. This is just an 320 unit. Wait until the 640's come out.