Thermal help educate me

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm 60 yrs old, been hunting all my life, and recently ventured into night hunting with a 5X18 ATN Xsight sent it back for a 3X12 Xsight because the FOV was too narrow. Once I got the 3X12 into the field the auto dimming was so bad, and other issues I have decided to send it back as well.

About a month ago I looked at a Pulsar 19a monocular at the local gunshow and thought that thermal was pretty cool. Didn't like the idea of $2000 for a monocular, but saw the advantages. Then after taking the Xsight out and experiencing the auto-dimming issues I knew there weren't any alternatives if I was going to hunt critters at night.

So presently I have permission to hunt 300 acres for pigs and coyotes and should easily be able to find more. I've got about $2000 presently and am saving my pennies, or sell a couple of .45's. I was looking at the Pulsar Apex50a for around $3500, I've also considered the Armasight Zeus 336 2X12 for around $4500 I like the warranty and made in the USA.

What type of features, warranties, questions, options, etc should I be asking or looking for?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do not know to much about the pulsars Brian will be here shortly to give some info on them I know he has played with a few of them. 336 resolution is good for hunting purposes you will have to make sure of the target but you need to do that with any system. Other than resolution I would say get the biggest lens you can afford. Also the auto nuc and mechanical shutter on the armasights is nice you do not have to cover the lens hen refreshing the image.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, I've talked with Brian a lot on the 6.5 Grendel forum. Just looking for some other input form folks. Wish I was there in Texas, I told him I would head over to UNV to try the different models out.

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
I carry both. If money was no object, I'd take the armasight. But, for their respective prices, they are both a great buy. Not that it matters, but man, Pulsar would have to work really hard to make the scope physically uglier!
Where are you located at?
What distances are you going to be shooting?
What rifle(s)?

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm in central Fl, just east of Tampa. I hope to be shooting at less than a 100 yds, but hope to be able to identify targets as pigs or coyotes at even greater distances. We have problems with high humidity here, 80-90% in the summer. I know that can be a problem for thermal. I don't know if it is that high in Texas or not. The first thing that attracted me to Pulsar was the price point, but I've got to be honest I think the Armasight warranty will win out. I need to get to a couple of big box stores and start handling some. I've read the opening thread 5 or 6 times now, it's starting to stick a little bit. Now I'm starting to pick up on things like auto nuk, and 17micron or 25micron so I feel like I'm making progress.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, I've talked with Brian a lot on the 6.5 Grendel forum.

And I am glad you are seeking additional advice!

Not that it matters, but man, Pulsar would have to work really hard to make the scope physically uglier!

I think FLIR did quite well at this with their RS series, but no, the Pulsar isn't pretty and it is awfully long. In the end, scopes are a lot like people. It isn't what's on the outside that matters as much as it is what is on the inside. - Geez, I think I have had too much group therapy.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sheesh, Brian, I have a tear in my eye, maybe I should have been nicer to that gal last week. Just sayin'

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian, you just made me cry and rethink my therapy sessions!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
52887.jpg

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This only confirms one thing.

I REALLY DO NEED GROUP THERAPY.

I knew there had to be something wrong, if I felt better after a few minutes of watching one of Brians video's, and if I was really feeling the DT's I'd could always go to youtube and mainline....

Is there a support group, if I haven't gone full thermal, just dabbled a little in digital.....really officer, I didn't inhale.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That thread should be mandatory reading for all newcomers.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Go with the Armasight..we have a Zeus 336 3x 42mm and we can spot hogs 800-1000 yards out on a good night. You can tell herds just because they way they act but if it's a single or small group you will just see a hot spot out there. Once you're within 400 yards you can usually tell if it's a hog.

Dry Creek

LSB Member
My name is John and I have only one problem right now. A full moon is just coming up and do I take out the ANPVS 4 Gen 3 or the Zeus 5 336 75mm 60 HZ to do a little hog control ? The full moon brings out old habits.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My name is John and I have only one problem right now. A full moon is just coming up and do I take out the ANPVS 4 Gen 3 or the Zeus 5 336 75mm 60 HZ to do a little hog control ? The full moon brings out old habits.
If by "old habits" you mean , howling at the moon and scratching your "junk" on a tree trunk, you might want to just stay home.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome DryCreek, I would thing the thermal would be good to go.

Dry Creek

LSB Member
Thanks for the support Frank. I used to wait for the full moon to drag out the Gen 1, then Gen 2, then Gen 3 and now Thermal just takes over. Will be on Medicare this year and at this game for over 50 years. That is what "old habits" means.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Same here pardner 2 years ahead of you except no thermal, if you got it Use It!