Thermal eye relief

so1ocam

bought a Reap Ir. Haven’t had a chance to hunt with it yet. Just played around the house with it a little to get used to the menus. One thing I noticed is that the shuttered eye cup they send with the unit is a nice idea. However when I mounted it on my AR it’s impractical. I have to tilt the rifle at an angle just so my eye can activate the rubber piece so I can see though the darn thing. I figure it’s better off just taking it off for hunting. Are all thermals eye reliefs like this?

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That shuttered eyeguard sucks. Took it off my Reap and replaced with pvs14 style.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My older ATN ThOR is focusable for target distance and the eyepiece is adjustable for your eyes and clarity of reticle.
I took the silicone eyecup off for a couple reasons. First,the places that we hunt typically has little or no ambient light to harm viewing. And second,the eyecup that came with the unit was a real PITA to get around your eye correctly.
This thermal . . set for my eyes . . has an eye relief of about 2 -2 1/2 inches. --- pruhdlr

Bocephus

LSB Member
I thought the shuttered idea was awesome.............until I mounted it. then I realized it was not practical to use. I then realized why I see so many pics of Trijicons without any eye pieces on them (which is how I run mine).