Thermal Drone

Discussion in 'Night Vision Outfitters' started by mdmorrow, Jul 22, 2017.

1. mdmorrow

mdmorrow Night Vision Outfitters SUS VENATOR CLUB Vendor LoneStarBoars Supporter

Guys we're working on a reasonably priced turn-key thermal drone setup. Will be gimbaled and likely a modified DJI Phantom 4 or similar. Price point somewhere from 4-7K. Will let y'all know as we move forward.

Curly Shuffle and der Teufel like this.
  2. der Teufel

der Teufel Team Phi Slamma Hamma SUS VENATOR CLUB

Yeah, I'll see if I can convince my hunting buddy to get one! :rolleyes:

3. deltav

deltav LSB Member

Been waiting for a thermal drone to come out for awhile now. Will there be an option to buy the gimbaled thermal only to retrofit if we already have a phantom 4? Which thermal camera? Flir Vue Pro with 640 boson core hopefully.

4. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

At $4-7K, that won't be too expensive. What will be expensive is crashing. :eek:

OneK likes this.
  5. chthump

chthump LSB Member

Thermal eye in the sky, that and a mortaar and could hog hunt from my yard

6. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

using FILR cams there are already drones out there 6K and up. Should be easy to put a package together as other have and are using now. All it costs is money, heck I cannot even afford a thermal scope let alone a drone w thermal...lol

Flir has been making thermal imaging devices since the late-70's. In recent years, the company added its technology to smartphones and smartphone accessories. And this week at CES 2017, Flir showed off another adaptation of its technology: a thermal camera for drones called the Duo.

The Duo is tiny -- about the size of a GoPro. It has two cameras: one a 1080-pixel HD camera, and the other a thermal-imaging camera. The thermal images represents heat in form of colors -- orange is hot, blue is cool. You can easily switch between cameras, but the real magic comes when you use the combined mode. This overlays details from the HD camera onto the thermal photograph. It makes for a very sharp thermal image.

lots of good drones out there and looks like ebay has a good listing of thermal cams for them
    drones thermal imaging camera | eBay

7. mdmorrow

mdmorrow Night Vision Outfitters SUS VENATOR CLUB Vendor LoneStarBoars Supporter

The duo doesn't cut it. Resolution is terrible. I've tested it and it's not effective past about 50 yards. So the only option is the Vue Pro line of thermals, until a boson version is released.

The main current issue is the only really integrated, turn key drones out right now are the DJI Inspire based Zenmuse XT units. They run upwards of 15k for a 640 resolution unit. Also integrating a third party gimbal with most drones is challenging.

There are plenty of modified rigs that require a second controller and separate video transmitter and monitor. They work fine but it isn't ideal for hunting due to all the junk you have to lug around.

Presently I am working on 640 options under 6500 with a gimbal and integration to the native app. That's the big deal. No extra monitor and all data on the same screen. Also well less than the current turn key options by less than half.

I have had success with the 3D Robotics solo with this method but am working on doing this with a DJI product also. The Inspire and Matrice are possibilities but really trying to look at more compact package like a phantom, that will come in a hard pelican case as a unit. The solo is the best option right now as long as they remain available. I've been running one with fixed mount 640 thermal for over a year and it's located countless hogs. Range is great and its open source, so modifications are fairly simple. Modifying existing drones will be possible but that will likely have to come later on once the process is all the way there.

Presently my idea is a turn key gimballed package, in a pelican or SKB watertight hard case with a couple extra batteries with various thermal options. Will be a 336 or 640 core in 30hz with various lens sizes.

It's a work in progress. But will keep you guys updated.

wigwamitus likes this.