Thermal Change?

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey guys, been thinking about sending in my IR Hunter Markiii 35mm and having it upgraded to the 60mm lense. I would like some more clarity and definition of my targets. Old eyes. I hunt mainly hogs at night with the occasional coyote and fox that I happen to stalk up on. Most hogs are within 75 yards or less, coyotes out to 150 maybe. Should I be concerned with FOV? Good or bad idea?

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Keep in mind I'm the dumbest member here but my opinion is no farther than your shooting you've got just what you need. At 4.5 power for a shot inside 50 yards your field of view is almost nothing.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know nothing of that thermal but does bigger lens equal larger zoom?

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know nothing of that thermal but does bigger lens equal larger zoom?
Base optical magnification goes from 2.5 to 4.5 on the 60mm. FOV drops from 12 to 7 degrees. That's really the only difference between the two

Last edited:

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
dam dude. that's saying a lot given the current company. you sure that includes east texans?
I didn't want to cause any more embarrassment than necessary for them so I gave them a little slack.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No way I'd change it for hogs and that distance. Only place it really shines is out super far and on smaller critters like coyotes. For your distances, your field of view is more important than the extra magnification in my opinion. I've tried the mk3 60 and the zeus pro 100 on hogs and it's just way to much and too narrow, especially once they start running.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm sure gonna miss Ole DJ... he's right, i was dumb enough to buy a scope with 4.5 and it's why i've missed every shot that i have and let countless runners get away on the covey rise wout even getting a shot... (no joke there)

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My "typical" shot is <150yds. Using my ATN ThOR with it's 50mm lens if I had only 1X - 4X available,I would consider that perfect.
Set at 4X I would have all I need for target ID at the further ranges also. . . . WITH great FOV. --- pruhdlr

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I've thought about upgrading my mk3 35mm to 60mm a lot also ... but I like the fov of the 35mm so sticking with that ...

I sold the zeus pro 100mm which was 4x cus it was too much magnification, too little fov ... 4x is a LOT of magnification at night ...

I can always crank the 35m up to 2x digital but I could not crank the 60mm down to 0.5x digital ...