Thermal Binoculars.....

znztivguy

LSB Member
Anybody have one?
If so which model? Plus can you share your experience with them?
I know they might be overkill...but in the range of toys a lot of us already have, this might get interesting?

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
There is a guy in here that has a pair of Helios, I think 75 or 100s. He said they are really awesome. Same guy that had the custom box built to hold his rifles.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM has some, I have not seen him do a review on them yet just mention them

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Helios are pretty awesome, but they are not true binos, but bi-occular monocular. It just means you get to eye pieces for looking at the same image of the same single lens view.

znztivguy

LSB Member
I guess we can include bi oculars as well, since they are just as interesting. Although that would mean true binoculars would require two cores no?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Right, one core each behind separate lenses so that each eye gets a slightly different view as happens with your natural vision.

FLIR Recon BN10 is an actual binocular. It runs about $18K.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Right, one core each behind separate lenses so that each eye gets a slightly different view as happens with your natural vision.

FLIR Recon BN10 is an actual binocular. It runs about $18K.
Is that all?

znztivguy

LSB Member
I think that price is one of the most prohibitive factors. Just waiting for someone to blow our minds. lol
Are they much superior to just a regular spotting thermal?

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
post from back in 2014

Tried using two flir units side by side like binos, work great for easy viewing. The views are 3d, the battery icon appears to be floating on the screen. Trees are 3d you can see branches sticking out towards you and the curves of the limbs. Nice, I was going to sell one of my units but will make a bracket for bino use.

Very comfortable to scan the area without eye fatigue, just like day binos. However I did not see any advantage as to detection ability. If you could see something with both you could see it with either, left or right unit.

Using an armasight zeus 5 75mm rabbits in grass 400+ yds away no problem, these were not visible to either of the flir units as binos or independent, I have hundreds of hours behind them and the critters at the longer distances in the grass were not detectable. Any mode or any tilting of the units to cause the auto gain to compensate for more earth or more sky.

For longer range, bigger lens hands down. Rabbits at 400 yds I could tell if they were cotton tails or jack rabbits from profile, very impressed with the armasight unit.

Small fov due to 5x 75mm lens, but same as day optic's I have been using for 30+ yrs, now I have thermal binos.
The PS32 and the ps24 images match up perfectly no difference, nada, zero, zip. Edges of screen match up, icons match up, flir logo match up, and image information matches up. Just no zoom on the ps24, so if small critter is detected the ps32 will be used for the zoom for better view. I don't have dual recorders to make a 3d video. May be down the line I will get another DVR and mess with 3d thermal.

I added a bayonet mount to quickly change between pvs14 and the binos.

Weight of binos around 25 oz, IR patrol is around 24 zo so not much difference except image quality ;)
A good counter weight is needed.

Dual%20flirs.bmp_zps6uyfyclf.jpg
IMG_0439_zpsiqmhxvs9.jpg

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That looks pretty cool. Couldn't you make a 3d video by making a Y-cord to connect the two video out plugs into one video in for the recorder, thereby superimposing the images on to each other?

znztivguy

LSB Member
Excellent setup! how much would that run in today's market?

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
I would look for a pair of ms24's or ps24 with the 19mm lens as they are 320 cores.
under $2500

A pair of the boson cores would be around $4k