Therma Clip on Advice?

ChasingCoyotes

Hi Guys ,
This is my first post on this forum and was hoping for some good advice on what therma clip on device I should buy.
Here is the criteria. I am in Vermont so the Temps get down to -20 F .
I would like to be able to shoot to at least 300 yards with it and scan to at least double that range or 1000 yards. I have scopes from aimpoints,Vortex 1-4 power and Nightforce 3.5-15x50 I would like to use it with.
Thanks in advance

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome the fray. A few will wander along who are thermal users. I'm sure you'll get some input. Not too many are exposed to your low temp threshold though... you may be one of our pioneers in that department.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
if you're just learning about clip ons I'd go to lonestsr boars YouTube channel and in the stickies at the top of this page. There are vids of Todd explaining clip ons, shooting yotes and hogs with one, and him looking at cows through a 1x6 at distances with an Apollo. Never used a clip on, but from the vids 300 looks to be pushing it for coyote.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I run a L3 LWTS which is a mil-spec, battle proven thermal unit. On a perfect night 6x magnification is really pushing it and most of the time 4x is the most you will be able to use it at. On a night with really good conditions the image seen at 6x is very pixelated, somewhat do-able for shooting larger pigs at 200-300 yards but a smaller, less thermal signature coyote will be a challenge. You stating to shoot at least 300 yards is going to be at the upper limits even on a good night. Even with it The ONLY reason I have a clip-on thermal is because all my shots are under 200 with most being 50-70 yards. Armasight makes a long range version clip-on thermal but I have never used one. Your best bet is to abandon the clip-opn and go with a dedicated scope

kryptekman

LSB Member
Thermal imagery is degraded heavily by extreme cold, also most animals are hard to spot even though they are hotter than the surrounding air. There fur is designed to trap a layer of hot air closer to there body while the outer layers are much closer to ambient temps. Battery life is drained very fast too, if you choose a thermal get one with an alternate battery source.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hi Guys ,
This is my first post on this forum and was hoping for some good advice on what therma clip on device I should buy.
I would like to be able to shoot to at least 300 yards with it and scan to at least double that range or 1000 yards. I have scopes from aimpoints,Vortex 1-4 power and Nightforce 3.5-15x50 I would like to use it with.
Thanks in advance
I'd avoid the ATN Tico clip on thermal. The image is outstanding, but I could never get the corrections to save. ATN's customer service is the worst I've ever experienced. They seem bothered by my questions, and only referred me back to the owner's manual.

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hi Guys ,
Thanks in advance

Chasing,

I have been night hunting coyotes and pigs in some pretty cold weather in Illinois and Missouri. I have been using a FLIR ps-32 for scanning. It has done well in 90 degrees or 10 degrees. Up until last month I have used a clip on ps-22 NV. I just got a LWTS and love it. I only use it when I shoot, so no issues with battery life in cold weather. I am still getting used to the site picture and judging distances. I look forward to not having fog or light precipitation stopping a hunt.

I have had no problem seeing targets at 300 yards and beyond with either of them. The problem I see is positive discernment that the animal you see it the one you want/can to shoot. I think as I get more time behind the LWTS this skill will improve.

The other issue I have run into is condensation. Understanding when the dew point is going to be reached has become very important. Being careful of not frosting over of the optics(that are well below freezing) is an ongoing challenge.