The Pistol Bug's Bitten Again...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Been watching a pistol upper for a while now. After it came down to $350.00 for the upper (already built) receiver, barrel, full float hand guard and an A2 flash hider included (shipped)... I had to scratch the itch.

A Spike's Tactical receiver, barrel, hand guard (with removable rails). 7.5" 1:7 twist 5.56 NATO. Rumored to have about 500 rds. through it.

Good thing I can quit anytime.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like trouble. I have been contemplating a pistol AR. Don't hear much good stuff or see video of them being used. I shoot my rifle one handed sometimes when I am filming with my left hand. The big boar I shot when he was down a couple months ago, I had the gopro in my left and shot him 3 times with my right hand, thinking a pistol is all I really need sometimes. I get a lot of close shooting. Does anyone here use one?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"Bison Chip".... 6.8 SPC II is an 8.5" 1:11 4-groove pistol gassed puppy I built from scratch. I've only had the chance to function test mine at the range... no complaints. Frank has one with the same barrel that he uses.

I just opt to have a little brother for it... either of them will fit in the saddle bag of my motorcycle for road trips.

BisonChipAPC001_zps371969f1.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good find RD, good luck!

Dan, the 8.5" Bison is my favored weapon hunting, dead on 40-125yds

on the bottom
PICT0820.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think they are very cool looking and like trying new things. I get 90% of my shots at 50 yds or less. Exactly why I went to an AR platform in the first place. So fast and light and easy to hold steady for long periods of time. I think personally a pistol config would be fun for what I do.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've not shot a 6.8 8.5", but I've shot a lot of 556 out of a 7.5". It's a blaster for sure! It has significantly more muzzle blast than a 12-16" 556 barrel. It's a fun toy, but I'm not sure it has any better ballistics than a 22 mag.

Best use is making the guy next to you at the range flinch.

Those pig muzzle breaks help direct it away pretty well though.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
mine is on a sling carried across the front of my body and easy to swing into action 1 or 2 handed and aimed however you wish...Really easier to get to and use than my handgun. Mine is set up for the 120SST, big bullet, close quarters, big holes.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sans the BCG, CH, MD... it'll have an A2 instead.

mODkP9w.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've not shot a 6.8 8.5", but I've shot a lot of 556 out of a 7.5". It's a blaster for sure! It has significantly more muzzle blast than a 12-16" 556 barrel. It's a fun toy, but I'm not sure it has any better ballistics than a 22 mag.

Best use is making the guy next to you at the range flinch.

Those pig muzzle breaks help direct it away pretty well though.
Serious about the ballistics comment? I didn't realize that you lose that much with the short barrel. Makes sense why I haven't heard a lot about them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In the 6.8 8.5" I am losing 400 or so FPS so still running 2100+ and kills pigs effectively. *** goes 12.5" w a carbine gas and runs much smoother, less problems and loss of FPS

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have been looking at a lot of pistol uppers too. I'm just not sure what I want to get. Eventually they will just go on my sbr

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The pistol gass is harder to tune than the carbine, that is why *** went to the 12.5" also develops alot more FPS than the 8.5"...Mine is OK w the 120SST, not so much w the faster 110 S&B FMJ so I leave it alone.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you may be right, just sure H does not prefer the pistol gas

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
H doesn't like to drop below Mid-Length. His 12.5" 6.8 barrels are mid-gas.