The Good, Bad, and the Ugly...Success, Fail, Long Fruitless Stalk

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The evening started off right. I wasn't 50 yards inside the gate to the pasture when I spied my first hog. I had the sunset behind me so I ducked around to get into some vegetation and dropped the hog 3 minutes into my hunt. Then things went south.

Had a coyote come passing through. It did not respond to calls or squeaks, but did stop and stand still long enough for me to place a shot nicely just above his back...he wasn't as far out as I believed.

Then the Sounder Express came through. I thought they were headed for a large cattle tank and so I took off to catch them there, but instead of going to the tank, they cruised right by into the woods and down into the flood creek bottom. I figured they were heading to the field next door and backtracked to the high ground where the farmer crosses the creek and then worked my way up to the field. Sure enough, they were there and continuing their trek right off the property. I swear, it looked like they were headed to dinner in town and were running late.

All this trekking around the property would not have been so bad if it wasn't so muddy. Watch the spray of dirt and water when I miss the coyote. Sheesh.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can hear it now... just before pulling the trigger: "Six fingered hog, my name is Brian Inigo Montoya Shaffer... you killed my Angry Bird. Prepare to die."

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
At least you're seeing hogs and putting some down, so there was still a measure of success.

I think it was Pulp Fiction "You want me to kill him again?"

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I’m a believer in the second shot when they are moving that much. Better safe than sorry. I don’t want them to run off or run at me! Good job. I’m not seeing any when I go out lately. Good Shooting!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good footage and details on all three sightings.

Coyote shot kinda reminds me of what we used to say back in elementary school…

"Slay it; don't spray it".

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You need to enter that pig in the drawing to be on Dancing with the Stars! He does a fantastic shuffling

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hog down! Some days better than the other. :cool: