Texas Hogs in the News

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
War against feral hogs rages on

Their efforts have resulted in 8,300 silenced swine in Caldwell County, one of the most afflicted areas in the hog boom that began about 20 years ago. Dornak says it’s the only county-based group of its kind in Texas, and he has been invited to speak in other areas of the state about tackling the problem from the local level.

“We’re kind of the shining star in the state as far as feral hog control,” he said.

BRUTE

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They do the $5 per tail thing here too. It's nice especially if you shoot hogs or trap a bunch of little ones too small to sell you can get a few bucks back.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
$5 is $5 anyway you count it at least pays for ammo interesting.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There are probably 8,300 hogs being born in 1 zip code this very moment. ;)

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Kool-Aid2.jpg

I think this counts- 1) Texas, 2) hogs (and a Mr. Pigg) and 3)"news". Saw this today in a tax journal. Ended up being a decent monetary win for the taxpayer- saved him about $18K in taxes. Can't beat the Mr. Pigg involvement in a feral hog tax case.

Here's a link to the Tax Court's opinion- https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/UstcInOp/OpinionViewer.aspx?ID=10636

I posted the same on AR15 and had a question on it, so here's a cut and paste of my response there: His ability to document his level of involvement in a 1280 acre farm (only about 130 acres were cultivated) allowed him to deduct losses over and above what a hobby farm would have. His records (reconstructed or contemporaneous) allowed him to get out of the Section 469 general disallowance of losses from "passive activities" because he was able to show that he materially participated in the conduct of a business. His records showed that he spent 210 and 360 hours in the two years working at and traveling to the farm in Texas (he lived in KY), and a part of that time included hog hunting. Since he participated more than 100 hours in each year, and no one else spent more time in either year than he did, he got to deduct the losses.

Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ncorry that's is funny

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is crazy!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had a neighbor in Montana named Charles Pigg and his wife was Ima.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had a neighbor in Montana named Charles Pigg and his wife was Ima.
Decades ago (just out of high school) at one place I worked (Native American based establishment)... I kid you not... one of the clientele was named Lena Overthebarrelandpoker.