Taurus PT1911 in .45ACP

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So.... a buddy of mine picks my brain once in a while. We talk handguns, we talk ARs, we talk... yesterday he stopped by to talk handguns. Mainly, because we both placed an order for the "Target Focus Training" DVDs. The package comes with a lifetime membership to GunSight (Utah, Arizona... somewhere down there). The package also includes training classes for: Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun. He's been finding out a few things here and there, and is beginning to gear up a little bit. He took some Christmas money and bought some electronic ear muffs. Well... he's mentioned a few different platforms he's interested in. We've talked striker fired pistols, 1911s, various calibers. Yesterday, his topic of choice was Officer's model, or Govt. model. So... we talked about the trade-offs for each class of them, and that he needed to make friends with the "what is" when he's ready to lay out some cash.

My buddy stops by a little while ago. He'd been invited to spend the day with his brother-in-law (their kids married one another), going to a local gun show. Well... he had that bounce to his step. He proudly presented a stainless Govt. model sized Taurus PT1911. "If I'm going to be shooting 600 rnds of ammo in a matter of just a couple of days, I want something that'll be comfy to shoot." At 41oz., it'll be that. LOL He done good, all the factory stuff included inside the factory hard case, and being that it was a private sale, no paperwork.

So... we had a quick lesson in breaking down the 1911 for cleaning/maint. and when we were done, he dug around inside the case and found his barrel bushing wrench included... but, he now knows how to break it down without the wrench too. Nicely equipped, about the only thing I'd change on it is to put an extended magazine release button on it. It's got an ambi safety already. Next, I dug out a leather holster I have (Galco) and made sure he knew about double checking the manual safety after holstering, and to get in the habit of feeling for it once in a while to ensure it's engaged (it's a 1911 thing). And, I drug out a couple of back packs I have/use that have built in conceal carry pockets, showing him how they work... as well as the difference between a Maxpedition and a 5.11 Tactical model. We talked about "why" the single shoulder strap on these, and how they work to deploy your weapon. We also talked about the ability to put a plate in the pack too.

And, we also compared his new Govt. to mine, as well as the weight difference for the alloy Officer's model (the Kimber is 27oz). He smiled when I said that I saw one of those in his future too.

And, bless his heart... during a different topic discussed yesterday, I'd learned him on "Corrosion X" for electrical connections for a project he's working on with his truck. Well... he handed me a bottle of Corrosion X" for guns (which he found at the show today). I now have two bottles of it. Never a bad thing.

Now, I need to send him an email with some holster options for him to consider... as well as back pack stuff too.

We learn from each other, although our general roads are similar, the paths we're on differ... so, there's things I score from him, there's things he scores from me. Great friendship to have... we've enjoyed this one for... roughly 40yrs now?

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very cool, always good to have a buddy to bounce ideas and learn from. Congrats to him on starting his 1911 addiction!