Tannerite Vs Hogs

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i saw this on ar15.com. Ive seen a video of guys trying to blow up hogs with tannerite, but it didnt kill em. this video is another story.. it blew them to hell!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
these videos are why we will not be able to use tannerite in the future

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm about as conservative and pro-hunting as they come, but my perspective sees this is as disgraceful, because it gives no respect for an ethical kill of these creatures made by God's hand.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do not believe many got away and those that did will be badly damaged for good. Personally I think it is disgusting and those that did it should be prosecuted.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Stuff like this will only work against hunters' rights.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not the way I am gonna do it, I consider it unethical...and that is all I am saying about this.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welp... Didn't mean to rustle any feathers. I've only played with tannerite once on the coast (no animals were harmed). Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not saying that it's in any way ethical, and I'm not trying to start an argument that blowing up hogs with tannerite is a good idea..It's not my style but y'all's responses did get me thinking...
A lot of people don't want the meat and try to eradicate these "pests" by shooting them at night while they're running away (often times with too small of a caliber to be generally quick and effective at killing them), only for them to suffer for a few days and die of infection (but this can and still does happen with larger calibers if the shot placement isnt good enough and the chances of that are increased on a running target, making it less ethical). Plus, if the hog hunting community put as much effort into killing them quickly and effectively with tannerite, as they do using guns and night vision, would someone have come up with a way to use tannerite that would leave less wounded hogs than guns do on the ones that get wounded and still escape? Plus, guns and hunting with guns is a social norm for us that we've been conditioned by society to believe is ethical. Explosives are not, regardless of how effective they could end up being. Also, last week I saw an episode of duck dynasty where Phil Si and jace used napalm and dynamite to kill beavers and blow up their dams, and that aired on A&E and Phil's justification was that they're pests that will stop at nothing and need to be destroyed, just like many think about hogs.
Anyhow, I'm not in support hunting hogs with tannerite, just trying to be objective and play a little devils advocate at the same time. And not that today's liberal minded, sensitive society would ever allow it, but what if someone really put some R&D into how to instantly kill as many pigs as possible with tannerite, without wounding others.
Ps the other video I saw with the tannerite stunned most of the hogs allowing the shooters more of an opportunity on still targets before they got back up to run off.. However, at the end of the day, I feel pretty similar to 81police on this.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No worries on my end. I get it that you were sharing something you'd found, no hard feelings here. Being primarily a meat hunter, this means is wasteful. I was taught to have more respect for game than this. Since it was already "done", I can admit to being amused by the result depicted... but, the limping animal prior to the pink mist suggests prior efforts with far less humane results.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Blake certainly no blaming you, just the bomber

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's not the blowing them up that bothers me it's the results with tanerite. If you could use a claymore I would be all for it. But adding shrapnel to tanerite makes it a destructive devise. So basically you have a big flash bang that blinds and deafens most of the hogs. I shoot running hogs all the time with the 6.8 and .308 most die some die shortly after. I'm sure many have suffered its inevitable. I think hunting with a lesser caliber is a bad idea also but tanerite is worse.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think you can use a variety of methods to control the overpopulation of any creature, while doing so in a way that respects the Creator who gave them life. That's only my personal angle though. Most all of us take great pride in making a quick, clean kill, but we all have different convictions though! My desires are to minimize the degree of pain/suffering of the animal I take. This can be done, seemingly, in a more ethical manner with a well placed bullet to the vitals than with an indiscriminate explosion that's more likely to wound the animal.

Like the old quote says, "ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal"

But I understand what you're saying Blake I really do. At the end of the day we all have to go with our own convictions.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If everyone shot as well as lawman, there wouldn't be any pigs left to shoot, trap or blow up!

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I saw a video recently of a guy who was shooting hogs from a tree blind with a 12 ga shotgun. He shot several and watched them crawl and flop (not your typical leg kicking after a kill shot). Those hogs were badly injured and suffering badly. NOT COOL. Hogs usually require a high power round, well placed to insure a humane kill. This guy was proud of himself. I thought he was an idiot.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There seems to be a common belief/sentiment amongst many of these folks that because hogs are considered vermin, that they are no different than cockroaches or rats and hence there is no reason to treat them any differently in terms how they are dispatched. No, it is not cool, but it is not an uncommon mindset, unfortunately.

marineimaging

LSB Member
The video has been removed but based on the comments I don't need to see it to feel obliged to put my two cents in. When we tussle with the tree huggers and kiddies it works in our favor to do use words like ethical, and harvest, and humane. And then we can go for the pocket book minded with the fact that Texas Sportsmen put more money into the wildlife management coiffures than any other citizen group with our taxes and permits and license purchases. But, if we sit back and laugh and applaud and/or even remotely sound like we are trying to justify anything like this we lose our credibility to them and to the world as a whole. In this world of today where the kiddies and mommie boys get their meat from McDonalds and have never had to struggle for so much as a scrap of bread or a drink of water we must consider what we must do to convince them to leave our guns alone, leave the voting to real men and women, and stop playing with their selfies and texties and join us in the real world. Blowing up animals is not the way to do it. Besides, if the person(s) who did that did it for some scientific or wildlife management reason there might be some validation. But, if they did it to get their jollies off, then they need to be held accountable and the best way to do that is to take a firm stand against it. Ok, I said my piece. It is o.k. now and then to question things and think out loud but in the end we have to draw a line and stand on the side that serves our cause in the long run.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If everyone shot as well as lawman, there wouldn't be any pigs left to shoot, trap or blow up!

I get my fair share of wounded hogs since I will shoot them on the run and in the rear. I prefer DRT but that is not always the case hogs are tough. Of course I try to use the most effective bullet caliber combinations.