summary to my new member statement:

witch's wail

Summary to my CA pig that would not die. I as stated in my about you statement had watched this hog use cows as cover with a spotting scope x 2. He would mix in with the cows who I later found out did not appreciate it. The day i choose to hunt him was a perfect wind, tried two times before but wind was not right. Hike was started at 2:30 am, straight up, top of ridge left hook and fairly level to the canyon he was using. I got set up at 7:05am, made a cup of coffee and looked down toward the Mouth of the Canyon and saw a Black Angus coming out of it. Surrounded by cows at the spot I picked I noted the cows were not happy at all, Pulled up the Bi Nocs and bout shat myself, big Boar, owned the place with attitude to spare. Quickly got a range on the Leica , 250 Yards@ something; made my elevation adjustment waited for him to stop, broad side and missed. Now not cocky but I shoot all the time, F class 1000 yd competition and I don't miss. Hog runs across my front, 3-4 rounds later I realize I am way behind him, make the adjustment and at the last shot gut shot him. I later found that my horizontal wind age had been knocked off by the pack frame, ( note to remember). I waited about 15 minutes and knowing hogs unlike deer don't run to the next County when hit went to get him. Walked down the Canyon he went to after hit, nothing, went back to my shot , original hit looking for blood, nothing, sat down to gather my thoughts and glassed the area I just came from. The hog was under a oak tree I had walked past within 10 yards while coming out. Tried a head shot , still missed, not realizing my original mistake, he got up ran broadside again now at about 100 yards, 3rd round I figured it out, 3 more to the shoulder, and down, approached pig up again and 3-4 rounds from a .460 Rowland and still running down hill, collapsed in the creek, one to the head did it with the .308. On a side note it was 6:10 PM when I called 911 to get help out, by this time with the pack full I could only slide down hill on my butt or crawl on level ground, quads no longer worked and out of water for hours. A F@G warden opened the closed gate and came to get me out, otherwise I was not prepared to spend the night with the temps dropping into the 30's low 40's. That my friends at 59 years old this June will be the last of that such behavior, but I am glad damn proud I did it. CER

Attachments

• GPExportPhoto.jpg
    GPExportPhoto.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 22
  • GPExportPhoto-0001.jpg
    GPExportPhoto-0001.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 22

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's always a good hunt when the pack's full, and you don't end up as cat-scat. Them thangs is creepy!! Wanna shoot one some day. Great eating, they are... all white meat.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to stick with the hunt. That is a dang good hog!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That sounds more like work than a hunt. Very nice boar to show for your work though. Glad you made it out ok to tell the story.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cali hog down!! Happy hunting!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gud gawd, that’s a lot of work...

But a lifetime story.