Subsonic expanding .308 bullets

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
_wsb_309x176_new+years+and+bullets+033.JPG

The left bullet has a dual diameter shank.

The right bullet does not.

_wsb_400x300_300+fireball+308.JPG

The Outlaw .308 bullet is an open tip rebated boattail design. It has a pure lead core that is segmented in the nose. The entire jacket length is serrated to allow for maximum expansion. The shank has a dual diameter to allow magazine length bullet seating.

Upon impact the nose of the bullet explodes distributing four mini cores into a radial pattern around the main core (shank). The main core expands to .45 caliber and tumbles through the target. Use on white tail deer has shown complete penetration. The 225gr .308 will stabilize in a 1-10 twist barrel. The 210gr .308 will stabilize in a 1-11.25 twist barrel. The 240gr .308 will stabilize in a 1-8 twist barrel.

_wsb_400x300_220ltsptzr.JPG

The new 220 grain lead tip spitzer feeds from an unmodified AR-15 with a 1-8 twist.

The 220 grain lead tip spitzer is the recommended bullet for the new 300 BLACKOUT.

_wsb_600x398_Test3-19-11025.jpg

The far left bullet is a Hornady 208 a-max. It started to tumble at 9" in wet newsprint. The other bullets are 220 lead tip spitzers shot at various subsonic speeds. These bullets start to expand immediately and penetrated 14" of wet newsprint.

The fragmenting design of these bullets reduce the chance of ricochet.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TL: It looks like you might have found a working bullet for your blackout. Does it have a tight enough twist to stabilize this bullet? The expansion on these looks quite uniform and should result in a large wound channel but I know that hogs don't seem to bleed out very readily. I am anxious to hear the result of these working in hog flesh. I guess that's the Pathology side of me coming out, back in your cage Igore.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes I have enough twist to stabilize the 240gr bullet.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Couple of questions.
1. Who sells these bullets ??
2. Why is the jacket up above the expanded part of the bullet. Seems that it should be folded back. ---pruhdlr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
FYI...

My department purchased some subsonic .308 loaded ammo from EBR (I believe it was loaded with their thumper bullets) and it was horrible. some of the projectiles barely made it to 20 yards before hitting the ground while others actually made it to the paper target at 50yds. I have no idea if the bullet actually expands at subsonic speeds as we were never comfortable enough to use it on a live target. I know they were contacted about it to see if the issue could be resolved but to make a long story short, I believe we still have the ammo but it just sits on the shelf somewhere.

My Father-in-law also shot a javelina in the head at 50yds with the same loaded ammo, (purchased about a year before the ammo mentioned above) and it bounced off the animal. The javelina took off in a run, but didn't get the extra hole in his head my F-I-N was trying to put there. I wish he would have recovered the bullet, but he was so upset he just went back home and didn't mess with it. Not really sure if he called EBR about it to see if they would make it right.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Hi TXLawman -

Thanks for the information, I just recently slipped into a 300 Whisper and I am awaiting the can.

Many Many months ahead until I can actually test on live targets BUT

I was going to try loading Speer's Deepcurl 180 gr bullet for subsonic work, here is why:

With this, the flat-base bullet—with a dimple to keep the heel uniform for better accuracy—has internal skiving for pre-programmed expansion at varying velocities. DeepCurl’s expanded diameter will typically be greater than that of the Grand Slam and will certainly influence penetration. DeepCurl is absent a cannelure.

Here is the full article: http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... sub=28&q=1

The 80 grain Speer Deepcurls have been the most effective bullet I have used in my 6mm guns so I am hoping that carrys over into the .30 cal version.

Do you have any load data to share for the 300 Whisper/BO subsonic with the Outlaw bullet?

Thanks,

HTXH

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Load data for 220 Spitzers? Stupid question since I wouldn't be able to find it either way...

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
It took me 3 months to find 6mm bullets, just gotta dig daily.....

I put an email inquiry in to Outlaw Bullets asking for some more details and advice on which bullet weight for my barrel length and twist.

Lets see where this goes from here.

HTXH

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Load data for 220 Spitzers? Stupid question since I wouldn't be able to find it either way...
I use 10.8 gr aa1680 for the 220gr roundnose.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It took me 3 months to find 6mm bullets, just gotta dig daily.....

I put an email inquiry in to Outlaw Bullets asking for some more details and advice on which bullet weight for my barrel length and twist.

Lets see where this goes from here.

HTXH
On their web page they recommend the 220 grain for the 300bo but the bo should stabilize the 240gr no problem.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 240gr .308 will stabilize in a 1-8 twist barrel.

The new 220 grain lead tip spitzer feeds from an unmodified AR-15 with a 1-8 twist.

The 220 grain lead tip spitzer is the recommended bullet for the new 300 BLACKOUT.

I have a 1-8 so I will look into the 240. I'm just worried that it won't cycle the BIG of a bullet. Communication was a little confusing. But got it! Thanks man. I will contact them and check availability!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the 247 noe bullet cast mine cycles and stabilizes it no problem.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do any of these bullets have problems in a 300 blackout either feeding or opening up in a can?

That would get way too exciting, way too fast

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know I still have not tried the outlaw bullets. Still patiently waiting for someone to develop a affordable subsonic expanding bullet.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So,I get this right they are made for a true 308 but a 300 blk out