Sticks and String

RevMS

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Skunked this AM. The neighbor was out shooting dove and only a couple small bucks and a doe with a small fawn showed up looking pretty nervous. May go again tonight but I'm thinking Monday AM (when the neighbor is at work) might be more productive.

Had fun watching the little 6 point bucks rattling their antlers together.

RevMS

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Three big guys came out tonight at about 7:30. Based on my trail cam photos I had decided if I had the opportunity I was going to take the guy in the front left of this photo (the one over his back was there as well along with a few other decent looking deer as well as a number of doe and smaller bucks):

Deer_Family_Photo.jpg

After watching him on the camera for the past month it's clear that he's the top dog.

So what happened? Buck Fever hit like a ton of bricks ... couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on the release with the pounding and the shaking! So I let down my draw and not a single deer even flinched! They hung around until dark and got in decent shooting positions but I didn't feel comfortable with the lack of light. The Buck Fever moment was just about as dark as I was comfortable taking a shot on an animal.

He's been there most days either morning or evening ... I hope I'll get another shot at him. I'll be out Monday morning again!

Last edited:

RevMS

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Took what I thought was a doe at last light yesterday ... the big bucks have been making themselves scarce since opening day ... turned out to be an antlerless buck. Oh well. Hit him just a little high and caught the spine. He dropped in his tracks and expired by the time I got down from the stand. Not a shot I would try on purpose but it sure made tracking easy. Didn't bother with any pics ... unless you want to see a bunch of meat in the cooler.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Antlerless? So a buck fawn or a wierd freak that somehow already dropped them? Did he have pedicals?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good job. When I started out in archery thirty years ago any animal was a trophy. I finally got where I could wait and only shoot what I wanted. I was mainly doing it because no antlerless permits were required during archery season. When my county went to permits for all seasons I started shooting them with my 6.8.

RevMS

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
From the size probably a yearling or so. Just had bumps on the head, no legal points. He had a friend along with him about the same size that was a fork buck, hence the thought that it was a doe.