Started using some Whitetail sent lures

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bought some sent lures to mess around with a couple of weeks ago. I set up my first mock scrape and a licking branch two days ago this guy came in last night.
b1c8b713a76d2e5276067e71205ac575_zps16124126.jpg

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Scent lures are all I use during my 2 week bow hunt trip I take most years. I just use buck urine and forehead scent to create a mock scrap and licking branch. If it is closer to the rut I will put a little doe estrus out.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use scent as cover sprays, spray on the bottom of my boots before going in and a drag rag, at the stand I hang the drag in a nearby tree. Just want the area to smell deer or hogs and not me. They are use to my smell on the lease, I just think the scent cover up the newest smell of me walking in.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Scent less are all I use during my 2 week bow hunt trip I take most years. I just use buck urine and forehead scent to create a mock scrap and licking branch. If it is closer to the rut I will put a little doe estrus out.
That is what I will be doing as well. The licking branch worked very well.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The licking branch is working well beyond what I thought it would. Now an 8 pointer. Dang I just have to get his time table changed
fc53d1a37048830e348f7e54bc883b02_zps81f463d4.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First I heard of licking a branch, will have to try that.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't do it!!!!!!

they taste terrible

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got to kill that bad boy buck fever is starting bad...... Lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
like how many times do you lick the branch?

Great cam shot Rob!! look how sharp that camera is!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is amazingly clear

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a nice buck. He needs a new home in the brine bucket and smoker.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That 10pt buck looks nice. Pretty young too, probably be really nice in a couple of years. That 8pt looks at least the same age, he would be my vote for the brine bucket and smoker.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
From what I've read and the little I have seen most bucks scent check thing at night unless it is near their being area. Then you will see them hit it at first light on their way to bed or the last hour or so of light as they get out for the evening rounds. Of course, every situation is different. He may pop out to see things at noon.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hopefully in two weeks I can bag him and refill the freezer. I also have a 6 pointer that is a little bigger than that 8 pointer coming in as well. Either way I will happy to shoot one. The 6 pointer is the first picture.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You an't eat the antlers

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You an't eat the antlers
I,agree not looking for a trophy just some fine eating venison. My wife and I eat venison like most eat red meat so a couple of times a week. Last winter I bagged a big 8 pointer and a good sized doe so we were good. Almost all gone.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
come here and I will get you a deer, no one eats it here

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I,agree not looking for a trophy just some fine eating venison. My wife and I eat venison like most eat red meat so a couple of times a week. Last winter I bagged a big 8 pointer and a good sized doe so we were good. Almost all gone.

My wife and I are the same way. We occasionally buy beef steals, but most anything that requires red meat gets made with venison.