SSA New versus Old brass comparison

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Ok, I got in 500 Pieces of the new SSA 6.8 brass, there definitely is a difference, but only one thing that would concern me after taking measurements.

I opened a brand new 100 count bag of each the old brass (prior Nosler) and the new brass.

The measurements below are based on an average of a sample of 10 pieces from each bag:

Case measurements performed with a Mitutoyo Digital Caliper. Weights were done on an RCBS Digital scale.

Neck thickness
  • New - .0140"
  • Old - .0140"
Primer Pocket Depth
  • New - .1215"
  • Old - .1235"
Primer Pocket Width
  • New - .1730"
  • Old - .1730"
Base Rim Thickness
  • New - .0415"
  • Old - .0465"
Base Rim Diameter
  • New - .4165"
  • Old - .4165"
Case Weight
  • New - 117.225 gr
  • Old - 115.925 gr
Observations:
I read on the 6.8 forums someone complaining about the primer depth was too deep on the new brass, I actually measured the opposite, that the older brass was deeper. Both within tolerance of comparisons to other brass I have.

The new brass is heavier on average than the old brass, yet they have the same neck thickness. So I'm guessing the case thickness of the body on the new brass is thicker. One person observed a change in accuracy and probably had a difference in pressure and velocity when loading new and old with the same charge, bullet and primer, etc. With a thicker case, usually means less capacity, therefore a difference in pressure. Since the neck thickness appears to be the same (I did not measure outside neck diameter which could affect pressure because of the tension on the bullet), I would assume the case thickness is affecting his accuracy because he didn't develop for that case.

The primer pocket width were the same between the two and both new and old brass have crimps. I can't see this affecting seating force as noted by one person that I read about.

My only concern with the new brass is the base rim thickness. At an average of .415", this is thinner than anything I have to measure. I measured some brass from many manufacturers, many calibers, .415" is by far the thinnest of anything I measured. Is it too thin? Well not sure. Only time will tell.

Here is my suggestion. If you bought new style brass, you need to re-develop any loads that you may have for the old style brass, as the two will be different. Only time will tell if the brass lasts. Tight extractors and dirty chambers could be a factor with the new brass. Hot loads will also be a factor. I'll stick with my old brass for my loads and the new brass will sit in the bags/box for now. I may develop loads and test in the future, but for now need to work on my 6BRX and 270AR loads for upcoming hunts.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank you for that Dave.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow Dave, you are the Man! There was also a complaint of some defective base rims(not the same all around and some hair thin), I guess since you did not note it you have not found any. Like I say I don't reload so was just reading as that was all I could do. All my SSA loaded ammo is way before the buyout, I mean 3+ to 10 years before.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I noticed fluctuation in the bases in both the new and old rims. I also noticed other fluctuations, notably the weight of the old brass actually fluctuated more than the new, which is disturbing, but probably doesn't matter much except to those shooting bench rest competition.

corrected my numbers above, forgot the zero in the rim thickness and neck thickness

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Other thing I didn't do is case capacity. Maybe one of. these days

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not saying you didn't do a good job on your findings, but you may not be aware that sized/new brass case capacity is not a tell all on the inner dimensions. There are too many variables in play when measuring sized/new brass. To overcome these variables it is easiest to fireform you samples from the same gun then take you measurements. That way all case walls are expanded to your chamber dimensions and brass thickness overall flows out.

Other than that your right the rim thickness in concerning since it is so thin. It would concern me too, especially with the violent extraction process from gas guns.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
True, but I wasn't planning on checking yet. But would be good to test both fired and new brass for comparison. Cutting each straight in half lengthwise to measure, then could tell where the differences in weight are.

Last edited: