South Texas Nilgai

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well I got an opportunity to go hunting for some Nilgai in northern Hidalgo County yesterday and today. We saw a bunch yesterday afternoon, but they were all 600+ yards away and running. This morning we sat in the truck watching a few big trails and this cow Nilgai walked out at 180 yards. I hit her in the base of the neck with 115gr fusion from my 6.8 and she dropped where she was standing. I broke her spine and ended up making a finishing shot to the head but there was no way she was getting up even without it. We took her back to camp and weighed her at 272 lbs. I'm headed back out again right now to see about another one!

Hopefully more to come soon...

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice! A little exotic meat for the freezer is a good thing.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those things can get really big, is this a cull operation? I know the King Ranch had them way back in the (dating myself here) 70's, that is where I got mine.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
great shooting! Love the rifle too

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice going Eric! I would be shy of using a 6.8 for Nilgi, but you made it work. Now go get one of those 700lb males.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We're sitting right now. Haven't seen one all evening. All I can say is that I'm in Hidalgo county but no I'm not on the king. We were invited to help a camp take a few cows. No bulls for us. That cow was 272 dressed weight. Camp says that's the second heaviest cow they'd seen come in and first one ever taken with a AR!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That has to be the first w the 6.8. be sure to write it up, story and load you used so I can pass everywhere...Big Congrats!

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We got skunked this evening. We saw a few deer out in the distance but that was it.

Ok Frank here ya go.

My 6.8 is a Frankenstein gun I built several years ago. Polished mil spec trigger, 3-9x50 Burris fullfield II scope *** 16" barrel with a TBAC 30P-1 hanging on the end of it. I'm using a B5 SOPMOD stock too. I used a factory loaded 115 fusion that I've chronoed at 2418 out of my barrel in similar conditions (~40°). We sat at a spot with two shooters facing opposite directions and I'm the one that guy lucky with the Nilgai cow stepping out at ~185 yards as per the rangefinder. She stepped out facing left and gave me a beautiful broad side shot. I was using a set of primos trigger sticks that went high enough for me to use from the back seat of the truck. I aimed right at her spine in the base of her neck and hit my mark. She dropped straight down and was completely paralyzed but not expired. I let another round loose to let her out of her misery and again hit my mark but with the amount of adrenalin she had running in her I had to run over and place one between her ears which quickly and humainly ended it right there. I cleaned the animal there and we were able to wash it off and load it on the truck with a winch. When we got back to camp we washed her some more but weighed her first and she was 272lbs without her end trails, live weight would have easily been over 300lbs.

We sat for a while longer but didn't see anything else we were allowed to take.

Nilgai are very tasty in my opinion. They were originally brought to Texas as a possible alternative to beef but proved to be very hard to tame, handle, and keep in a single pasture. Today they are found throughout deep South Texas but mainly on the Sandy soils found on the eastern half of South Texas in high numbers and their range is limited to the north by their inability to withstand cold wet days.

I know I am not the first to take one down with an AR as aerial gunners use them for taking Nilgai that are processed and USDA certified fit for public sale and consumption, but I may be the first to take one with a 6.8 in a hunting setting.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks.. So there are so many down there now they are doing aerial eradication? Good grief! Yeah I thought mine was pretty tasted, processed and tasted sorta like range fed beef. You on the 6.8 Forum, gonna do a write up there?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very Fun. I hunted them years ago on the King Ranch with long bows. My brother and I each got our hogs the first day with longbows and wood arrows then we still hunted Nilgai. We drew straws and he won on a stalk and I held back about 60 yds. He made a perfect double lung shot but he never died. Find out later that their vitals are pushed way forward in the chest cavity. No recovery.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice, that is way to cool to get an invite like that. Good Eats fo sure. Nice going and congrats!!:) BANG BANG!!

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks.. So there are so many down there now they are doing aerial eradication? Good grief! Yeah I thought mine was pretty tasted, processed and tasted sorta like range fed beef. You on the 6.8 Forum, gonna do a write up there?

Yea I'm on there but I haven't logged on in a while. I'll have to post it there too.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good I would like you to, between Bears, elk, a moose, caribou I think yours is a real heavy weight and at that range and factory ammo at that would be a great addition. Again Congrats!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
10-4 good going!

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Nice shooting, plus making a bad weather day into a good one. Been cold and drizzling last few days down here.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice work.

thanks for the write up