Son's first hog

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Hello all. My name is Dan and even though I live in Atlanta, the in laws have a bunch of property in OK. I try to head out there at least three times a year to visit and give my boys plenty of time with the grandparents (and of course get in plenty of shooting and bass fishing).
My oldest is 12 and a pretty good shot. I had promised him a chance at a hog once he could consistently group shots at 100 yards with my 6.8. Two evenings ago we saw a decent boar under the lights and I let him take the 85 yd shot. The hog was almost broadside, facing just a little away so I had him place the shot just behind the shoulder blade. 120 grain sst went in and exploded on the inside of the opposite shoulder. Hog was DRT and I was proud as can be. I would say 160 to 175#.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job! Both of you will always remember that hunt!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice hog! Now he's hooked and will want his own 6.8 by next hunting season.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Super, Good going Dad and the young man made memories and a good shot!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Get them hooked early, nice work.

BTW nice bang stick.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
congrats to him, nice boar

I learned one thing shooting SST's, great DRT bullets, but if keeping the meat you want to do a neck shot as close to the head as possible, to preserve any meat lol

Navygator

LSB Active Member
congrats to him, nice boar

I learned one thing shooting SST's, great DRT bullets, but if keeping the meat you want to do a neck shot as close to the head as possible, to preserve any meat lol
You are definitely correct about the SST and harvesting. The property is overrun with hogs and often times we are just in exterminate mode. This boar was taken to the creek bed for the coyotes.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
true, some don't understand that there are so many that you can't eqtt

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey Hey Hey

Let's give the next one to the Turkey Buzzards!!!!

Leave it out in the open for our feathered friends