Some Help Please

JPK

LSB Active Member
After some dismal results predator hunting Tuesday night I'm looking for some ammo advice.

I was using my 6.8, which is currently sighted in for the SSA 110gr TSX load, which has worked really well for hogs and done the job on a few predators.

But what I'm looking for is a more explosive, hit them anywhere and drop them round for primarily foxes, coons and the occasional coyote. Whether a bullet is fur friendly or not is not important to me, I am looking for more instant death.

My rifle doesn't shoot Hornaday 120's well or I would try them for a do everything load. I found SSA 85gr Barnes RRLP on sale. The RRLP stands for Reduced Ricochet Limited Penetration and the bullets are marketed as a M/LE round for soft targets. The bullets are frangible, and supposed to come apart quickly on soft targets.

These would seem to be a good choice, and they are $14/box of 20, so easy on the wallet. Thoughts or suggestions for an inexpensive alternative?

My son's 5.56, which I loan out to a buddy for night time predator hunting when my son can't make it with us, is sighted in for the 62 go Federal Fushion load, and I think I'm going to find a more explosive option for that rifle too. Anyone have a suggestion for an effective, explosive predator round which is inexpensive?

Thanks,

JPK

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Look at the 90 TNT bullet (Sierra, m'be?), the 110 gr Sierra ProHunter is a cup/core soft lead tip. The Nosler 115 gr CC is a BT/HP, should do nicely as well. All should be a reasonably priced component.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Thanks for the suggestions, but I only load for a couple of cartridges, and not for the 6.8, so I am looking for factory ammo.

The SSA 85gr Barnes RRPL price of $14.95 is for a box of 20, which seems to be a pretty good price.

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 90 gold dots or the 115 Fusion should do well on small animals

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've shot some deer and coyotes with the 85gr RRPL and I was expecting horrific soft tissue damage.
The first doe was about 175 yds and she dropped dead from a neck entrance and rear shoulder exit. Not a whole lot of damage.
Coyote was 375-380 yds and it was a disabling hit but it wasnt dead when I got to it after skinning the deer. It hit spine behind shoulder and was just paralyzed.
2nd deer was a shoulder shot quartering slightly about 200yds. She feplays over and kicked some but was dead before I got to her.

In those 3 hits they can't compare to the soft tissue damage of the 120gr sst.

The 110gr vmax and 90gr sierra varminter have been the nastiest on soft tissue that I've used yet.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would either go for vmax or xm90gd. Both can be found pretty cheap

Jezzer

It's a shame you don't reload, I'll second the Speer 90g TNT, very accurate, fast and explosive.
Jezz.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions, but I only load for a couple of cartridges, and not for the 6.8, so I am looking for factory ammo.

The SSA 85gr Barnes RRPL price of $14.95 is for a box of 20, which seems to be a pretty good price.

JPK
as you already reload, I would buy a set of dies and stuff.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Unfortunately, I view a reloading session with as much anticipation as I do a colonoscopy. I only reload when I absolutely cannot find a factory alternative, and that has been limited to a couple of dangerous game cartridges and bullets.

I was out with a bud again Friday night with my 6.8, still using the 110gr TSX's, and shot a fox at maybe 30yds, it was moving since it had spotted us as it was sneaking in from behind. Perhaps not the best shot placement, and again no recovery. No blood that we found that night or next morning. Same thing with a coyote at maybe 35yds. It's depressing.

I received the SSA RRPL ammo last week and will get my rifle sighted in with it before another hunt. I'll report back on how it works.

I suspect and hope that I'll have different results than nonneiselman since a long shot will be 100yds and most of our shots are well within 50yds, where velocity is still high.

If results still suck, I may have to reload. I have several powders that are supposed to be good for the 6.8. Who woulda thought that some of the better powders for the 458wm are also well suited to the 6.8?

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use the 110TSX on hogs, never had one run all DRT. I would think on deer, yotes, foxes you would get little expansion, a tiny hole and no blood trail.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I use the 110TSX on hogs, never had one run all DRT. I would think on deer, yotes, foxes you would get little expansion, a tiny hole and no blood trail.

Yes, on hogs they really work well. My most memorable shot on hogs, which testifies to the 110 TSX's performance on hogs, was a Texas heart shot taken at about 80yds on the running sixth of a seven member sounder. Enough penetration coupled with sufficient expansion for a DRT. I also dropped two hogs DRT with one shot after waiting for them to line up.

I think they would work well on deer, at least if you shoot for the shoulder, where bones will ensure expansion.

It seems what you predict with fox and coyotes is what is happening. For example, yelps and wound biting on the coyote, and he was trying to reach well forward, right behind the shoulder, so there is no doubt I hit him, and apparently the shot wasn't too awful. I missed with subsequent running shots, I guess, but we looked hard and found no blood. About the same with the fox, though no yelps and the shot might have been further back.

I have only witnessed one clean fox kill with my 16" 6.8, when a bud shot a fox trotting to the call directly in the chest. I guess the extra target depth allowed the bullet to begin to expand. We never did find the exit on that one though, and I can't imagine it didn't exit.

I have an 11.5" 6.8 upper and am waiting for a suppressor (and the flash hider mount) for it. I hope like heck that the 120 SST ammo I have works in that barrel, it doesn't in the 16", proving no better than 3-4" 100yd groups.

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have an 8.5" 6.8 and use the 120SST in it, seems to work well. I like the 110TSX there too though due to the faster bullet speed, also not a reloader.