So.. do I "need" a PVS 14?

ccreyeder

As far as night vision goes, I have a thermal monocular, a thermal scope, and a digital night vision scope.

I've always thought a helmet mounted gen 3, ie a PVS 14, would be cool. I definitely like the idea/look of them. I just havent been able to convince myself that I really need one. The places I hunt, unless it is absolutely pitch dark, I am familiar enough with the layout, terrain, etc, that I can drive around in the mule, in the jeep, or walk on foot without any light whatsoever without getting lost, worried about running into anything, etc.

I cant decide if I should add a helmet mounted monocular to the mix for myself or get a second thermal scope for whoever is going with me. My digital night vision scope is a photon XT. It is on the rig that my sons or guests use when I go out at night. It is a little more complicated to use with having to adjust focus, deal with the external IR illuminator, etc. But, what do I care? I have my rifle mounted IR Defense scope to use lol...

So, I dont think I really "need" a PVS 14 type setup, but is it a case of not knowing what I dont know? I'd love to have a helmet mounted monocular/binocular because I think they look cool as heck, but given what I really do and being able to get around in the dark without one, would it be money well spent? 3K would put me half way to an additional IR Defense scope (or similar) or pretty much right in the wheelhouse of one of the new Pulsar thermal scopes.

What say the night vision gurus?

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think you answered your own question ... ; ) It's more of a want than a need. I have thermal and a pvs but don't really use it (pvs-14) as much. I do plan to mount it to a helmet once I can save up more money. If you know your hunting grounds well enough and can get around fine without lights than I would say just save your money and stick with what you got.

The pulsars XD models are nice and definitely worth a look if you want to rig up another rifle with thermal

Lancer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love my Thermal spotter and scope but for getting up close to the hogs, driving while scanning and just general motivating around I would be crippled without my pvs-14. But I hunt a lot of different locations and most of them in one night so being able to get in there to the field, scan quickly and attack or move on to the next place is ultra important for me.

chthump

LSB Member
Pvs14 is good for maneuvering, not a must, but it shore makes it easier to avoid obstacles, or stalking (sometimes), in my opinion, thermal should always be first, pvs14 is just handy

ccreyeder

Thanks for the responses. Yep, I am thinking an additional thermal would be the most cost effective for me. I dont really "need" the pvs 14, but, dang it, I sure want one! lol

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh no! Please tell me I don't have to "need" in order to get! That would mess up my whole strategy....LOL.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree with what others have stated so far. I run helmet mounted NV and would be lost without it but that's because I am always hunting different areas and use it to walk, stalk and drive. I will say that even though you know where you are going and don't have any troubles maneuvering you'd be surprised at the critters you are missing by not having it. With a good moon I can pull into a 30-50 acre field and see pigs or cows with the NV. Another up side to the NV is that you can get much closer on your stalk.

From your description it's not a must have but it is still a great tool.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I started with one helmet mounted 14, then got lonely and got a second helmet set up with another 14. Then, my hunting buddy got a Armasight 4x Gen 2 white phosphor Nemesis. Then I got a ATN 320 2x Thor. Then came another Nemesis for my dad. Then sold my Thor and got a Armasight Zeus 640 3x. Then a Pulsar HD38A handheld scanner, which I traded one of the helmet set ups for. Still have one helmet set up with a TW and it is comfy (much more so than the two previous OpsCore FB helmets, and more durable), but it vary rarely gets used. Like OP, we hunt familiar areas mostly, and unless there is thick cloud cover, can avoid the dillo holes and get across barbed wire fences without extra light. The helmet and 14 I still ahve just doesn't make it to the truck very often, and when it does, it rarely makes it to the hunting buggy. If you do get one, I highly recommend the TW Exfil and the Crye Night Cap. They are basically winter/ summer head mounts.

I use the head mounted 14 most often for slipping into deer stands early in the morning. To me, that is where the 14 really shines - navigating in woods. Open fields, meh. It is fun as hell to be blasting down the road at 30 on a blacked out ATV though.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use mine every time I go out. Team Wendy helmet makes it much better on the head. I like being able to just sit still and watch everything without having to hold a scanner in all night long. I know my place extremely well and still use it to navigate. Just be careful when driving as you can have accidents. Trust me on this one. Very painful.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I have a dual PVS 14 set up that I can break down for two guys. Two TW Exfills and a Crye Night Cap as well. NV, especially using duals, is pretty awesome, but as long as one of us hunting together knows the terrain the PVS 14's don't get used much. I had a third PVS 14 set up as well and sold it.

On the other hand, for thermals, I have a Pulsar HD 19A scanner and an IR Defense MK II and sold a Patrol which I used primarily as a rifle scope. I have been missing the Patrol... And am now looking for it's replacement.

If I hunted unfamiliar ground more often, especially without a bud who is familiar with the ground, the NV would get used a lot more.

JPK

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
FWIW - I've got a ATN thermal monocular and thermal weapon sights. I love being able to use the thermal monocular to scan large fields without having to leave the driver's seat of my truck. I could use the thermal on one of my weapons, but that (1) takes longer and (2) I'm always worried about hitting my scopes when taking them out and putting them back in the truck. I take it with me every time I go out.