Sneak peak at the newest Zeus 75mm

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do they or are they capable of the auto on the Zeus models to be turned off of auto? On my Predator I get wash out once in awhile if looking into the woods. When I have adjusted everything to the nights conditions I have found that it goes back to the auto cycling and adjusting all on auto. Going to get back in the book when I get the scope back because I think I can turn off the auto on it?? But to tell the truth it really does work well on its own. My only complaint is sometimes I wish for a clearer picture but I am hoping that is going to be cleared up with their tinkering with it. One thing about the scope is I turn mine off in between places because it takes a split second to turn on and then on the rare occasion it does the nuke dealy that also takes a blink of an eye. That is my 2 cents worth on my scope. BANG BANG!!

PJW

Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They received mine on 2/22, was return shipped on 2/24. Should receive on the 29th. About a week turn around time.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I got mine back last Saturday and zeroed it sunday. I could pick out steel targets at 200 yards that were nearly the same temp as the berm behind them. The detail is much better. I could clearly see the detail of the paper targets at 50 yards and didn't need to put anything up with a temperature difference to zero.

Brian and I are meeting at the orchards friday night to compare updated vs. Not update 75 mm 640 3x standard zeus scopes. Hopefully, the comparison will include simultaneous hog whacking video.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian and I are meeting at the orchards friday night to compare updated vs. Not update 75 mm 640 3x standard zeus scopes. Hopefully, the comparison will include simultaneous hog whacking video.

I am very much looking forward to hearing how it turned out. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to ship it back.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Zeus 336 75mm core early units are not upgradeable for free, they are the tau2.1 core. Armasight emailed me that the 2.1 cores are $2495.00 to upgrade to the 2.7 cores. So no firmware for me. Apparently the unit they shipped me Sept 2014 was a core made prior to June 2013 when tau 2.4 went into production . I emailed Andrew @armasight to look into the matter as to why my thermal was shipped with at least a 15 month out of production core, web site description says units ship with latest core? :)

Last edited:

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am very much looking forward to hearing how it turned out. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to ship it back.

Yep, looking forward to the report as well. However, I'm about to be away from the ranch for a week so I might go ahead and return it for the update in order to minimize downtime. Sounds funny but I went all these years without a thermal weapon sight and now I damn near have an anxiety attack if it's not in my possession, lol.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep, looking forward to the report as well. However, I'm about to be away from the ranch for a week so I might go ahead and return it for the update in order to minimize downtime. Sounds funny but I went all these years without a thermal weapon sight and now I damn near have an anxiety attack if it's not in my possession, lol.

I resemble that remark.

Dry Creek

LSB Member
Zeus 336 75mm core early units are not upgradeable for free, they are the tau2.1 core. Armasight emailed me that the 2.1 cores are $2495.00 to upgrade to the 2.7 cores. So no firmware for me. Apparently the unit they shipped me Sept 2014 was a core made prior to June 2013 when tau 2.4 went into production . I emailed Andrew @armasight to look into the matter as to why my thermal was shipped with at least a 15 month out of production core, web site description says units ship with latest core? :)
So I assume my May 2014 Zeus 5 336 75mm 60 HZ cannot get an upgrade without another $2495.00 also . Paid $8,000.00 for this 336 from Armasight directly back in 2014 so I think that I'll pass on the upgrade. Remember web site said shipped with latest Flir core too.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dry, I am thinking for that much you have the new core?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I assume my May 2014 Zeus 5 336 75mm 60 HZ cannot get an upgrade without another $2495.00 also . Paid $8,000.00 for this 336 from Armasight directly back in 2014 so I think that I'll pass on the upgrade. Remember web site said shipped with latest Flir core too.
That was the latest in 2014 the nest cores did not start shipping until 2015. It's 2016 now.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But honestly the wash out did not start until the latest core your core should be fine without the update.

YellowHammer

North Alabama
The pro line is the only one with control over the auto gain speed.

The standard line does have the gain adjustment now. And I found if the auto gain control is to much I just turned down the smart scene.

TLM, got my Standard back from upgrading and it now has adjustable gain and AGC speed settings so there may have been some additional tweaking since you finished your testing to add the AGC speed?

Can you explain to me the difference between gain and AGC speed? What numerical settings are you using on your scopes?

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
June 2013 2.4 version core shipping from flir. June 2014 2.7 version core shipping from flir.
Check with Armasight you may have the 2.4 core which I think is upgradeable. I have bad washout I will get some pics of Armasight 336 75mm vs flir PS32 to show the background washed out with the armasight.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is too bad that we can not download new firmware and up load our selves. Like a lot of stuff.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, got my Standard back from upgrading and it now has adjustable gain and AGC speed settings so there may have been some additional tweaking since you finished your testing to add the AGC speed?

Can you explain to me the difference between gain and AGC speed? What numerical settings are you using on your scopes?

Agc speed is how fast the auto gain control adjust the gain. 0 = none

Dry Creek

LSB Member
Agc speed is how fast the auto gain control adjust the gain. 0 = none
Thanks for the technical help which is above my pay grade. I really can't see what an upgrade would improve on this unit. Was looking at jack rabbits tonight at 300 yds which were perfectly clear !!! The 5X on this unit is hard to beat in my country for hogs and coyotes .

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks for the technical help which is above my pay grade. I really can't see what an upgrade would improve on this unit. Was looking at jack rabbits tonight at 300 yds which were perfectly clear !!! The 5X on this unit is hard to beat in my country for hogs and coyotes .

I got to compare my upgraded zeus 640 75mm 3x to an identical zeus without the upgrade. There is a significant difference between the two. The upgrade is well worth it. No more flickering screen from the uncontrollable auto gain, if the agc is activated I can be made to change slowly, and a little better clarity.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got to compare my upgraded zeus 640 75mm 3x to an identical zeus without the upgrade. There is a significant difference between the two. The upgrade is well worth it. No more flickering screen from the uncontrollable auto gain, if the agc is activated I can be made to change slowly, and a little better clarity.

Great news, thanks for the update.

My Zeus is shipping out Monday. I emailed Armasight for an RMA late Thursday afternoon and Andrew responded with a RMA ten minutes later. Hopefully the upgrade will go that smooth too...