Snakes!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here it is, the end of January, and if I am out hunting, I will be wearing either snake boots or snake gaiters as I have done for the last couple of years. Some of my buddies give me a hard time. "Ain't no snakes gonna be out this time of year..." and mostly they are right. To be perfectly honest, I really like wearing my gaiters this time of year because they keep my lower legs warm and dry, not to mention protecting me against that crappy greenbriar that is sharp and pointy all year long. However, the snake issue is real. Snakes don't know seasons and snakes don't use calendars. All they know is that if it is warm enough, they will be out. "Warm enough" is relative, but I have seen snakes out at my place when it was in the 50s. There may not be as many of them that are out and they may not be moving as much, but they will be out.

Last week, this little girl learned the hard way about snakes. She was at Longhorn Cavern State Park when she was bitten by a rattlesnake. It was cold enough that she was wearing a jacket at the time. To date, she has had at least 30 injections of anti-venom. That won't be cheap and neither will the care flight that transported her to the hospital that had anti-venom.

5-year-old girl receives 16 doses of anti-venom after rattlesnake bite
5-year-old girl survives rattlesnake bite

Just a PSA reminder...

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I wear my snake boots all year round, cannot trust the wriggly ones, like a snake in the grass

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hate to see anything bad happen to the little ones!! Hope she pulls through and gets all better:)!! Dang snakes!!!

bar-d

Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle
Here it is, the end of January, and if I am out hunting, I will be wearing either snake boots or snake gaiters as I have done for the last couple of years. Some of my buddies give me a hard time. "Ain't no snakes gonna be out this time of year..." and mostly they are right. To be perfectly honest, I really like wearing my gaiters this time of year because they keep my lower legs warm and dry, not to mention protecting me against that crappy greenbriar that is sharp and pointy all year long. However, the snake issue is real. Snakes don't know seasons and snakes don't use calendars. All they know is that if it is warm enough, they will be out. "Warm enough" is relative, but I have seen snakes out at my place when it was in the 50s. There may not be as many of them that are out and they may not be moving as much, but they will be out.

Last week, this little girl learned the hard way about snakes. She was at Longhorn Cavern State Park when she was bitten by a rattlesnake. It was cold enough that she was wearing a jacket at the time. To date, she has had at least 30 injections of anti-venom. That won't be cheap and neither will the care flight that transported her to the hospital that had anti-venom.

5-year-old girl receives 16 doses of anti-venom after rattlesnake bite
5-year-old girl survives rattlesnake bite

Just a PSA reminder...
Being Texas and being that it was nearly 80° here just a few days ago, gaiters are always in fashion here. I killed a 4 footer by my MIL's garage door just after Christmas.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We're having an old barn demolished on some farm property. Went out this morning to talk with the crew. They showed us two Western Diamondbacks they had killed today. One over two feet long, the other was over three feet in length.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Unless they're behind glass, or on a video I'm watching... Homie don't like snakes!