Small flash holes?

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just got 100 pcs. of 6.5 Grendel brass. This is made by Lapua for Alexander Arms. Great looking brass but the flash holes are tiny. A lee decapping pin will not go through this flash hole. Anyway I intend to enlarge these holes to a standard size, (yes I have a tool for that). I am forming this brass for use in my soon to come 6mm AR-P upper. I think the small flash hole idea was for improved accuracy in the 6mm PPC but I don't think the slight loss of accuracy will be noticeable in a gas gun. Why they would carry this over to a 6.5 Grendel is beyond me!
Has anyone else here ran into this problem and are there any 6mm AR-P or .243LBC shooters here. It is like a mini .243 win.
My upper will be sporting one of H's 20" Melonite treated barrels with a 1/8 six grove twist. I have on hand a few hundred Berger 95gr VLD hunting bullets and a few hundred Hornady 87gr V-MAX bullets to mess with. I am going to start out using H-4895 powder and then AA2200.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I
I just got 100 pcs. of 6.5 Grendel brass. This is made by Lapua for Alexander Arms. Great looking brass but the flash holes are tiny. A lee decapping pin will not go through this flash hole. Anyway I intend to enlarge these holes to a standard size, (yes I have a tool for that). I am forming this brass for use in my soon to come 6mm AR-P upper. I think the small flash hole idea was for improved accuracy in the 6mm PPC but I don't think the slight loss of accuracy will be noticeable in a gas gun. Why they would carry this over to a 6.5 Grendel is beyond me!
Has anyone else here ran into this problem and are there any 6mm AR-P or .243LBC shooters here. It is like a mini .243 win.
My upper will be sporting one of H's 20" Melonite treated barrels with a 1/8 six grove twist. I have on hand a few hundred Berger 95gr VLD hunting bullets and a few hundred Hornady 87gr V-MAX bullets to mess with. I am going to start out using H-4895 powder and then AA2200.
I like my Lapua brass use all the time in 308 great stuff. Small flash holes is a mystery. Let us how it shoots.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Do you think it will be possible for you to consider doing a before and after testing to see if changing the flash hole size makes a difference?

I know I would be curious about this.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do you think it will be possible for you to consider doing a before and after testing to see if changing the flash hole size makes a difference?

I know I would be curious about this.
I don't think it will make any noticeable difference with a gas gun. If I had a bench rest rifle I would leave the holes small but in this case it would involve additional expense in getting set up correctly to utilize the smaller holes. I have already punched the holes out so there is no going back, sorry.