Small Boar from last night

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

I have had a small group of small hogs visiting for the last few days. I got a quick view of a few of them in person during the full moon, but they saw me about the same time as I saw them and there was no chance to shoot. So I showed up last night just before dark, checked game cameras, and settled into my popup tent to wait...which wasn't long. Using a thermal scope, I spotted this guy peeking out from the treeline in the food plot NE of my location. As quick as he was there, he was gone, retreated back toward the woods. I have seen this behavior before when the hogs work the plot to harvest the seeds in a rather systematic fashion. Sure enough, he appeared again. At that point, I identified him as a pig, scanned for others, got the DVR turned on, and made the shot.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the forum! Great story and I love the video keep them coming! What thermal are you using? Do you mind if I put your videos on the lonestarboars YouTube channel?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hello! I use a PS-32 monocular from FLIR for scanning purposes. It has been really beneficial for spotting hogs and often spotting them before I actually have a shot at them with regular or digital NV.

Sure, add the videos. I am still learning the technology, both in the field and in editing. Here is what I have so far. Use what you like.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank you! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome and thanks for sharing the videos!!

Pitbull

LSB Member
Great videos. You don't see many Remington 788's around. I have that same gun in a .243, my first deer rifle and she still drives tacks.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bought my 788 2 or 3 years ago. It had been a truck rifle but still had bluing on the bolt face - carried a lot but probably shot less than 30 times. With the right ammo it is a sub MOA gun, but it does have some ejection issues.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I see the angry bird is keeping the piggys in line LOL!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job on the vids. Good choice of tunes too. Kind of reminds one of the ol' suspense thriller themes played.