Sinkhole

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well this was a record short hunt left the house at 8:30ish and was done hunting by 9:00pm when my land cruiser sank in a huge sinkhole filled with water.

The crazy thing is I never got off the road! Now the road is just a dirt farm road but still a road we drive quite often to check on the cattle fill feeders ect. There are a few gates and fence lines to rotate the cattle ect the third gate is in a low area were there is always standing water it was muddy there even during the drought. I had just used the same road the day before to kill feeders and such. Normally we would drive this road 10-15mph but this night i was luckily going under 5mph trying not to make noise as I went to check the feeders.

As I approached the gate my truck dropped forward almost vertically throwing me into the steering wheel I gave it full throttle and got the nose and engine up out of the water but was stuck. Now I have locked front and rear axles with 37" Super Swamper tires it is near impossible to get stuck but I sure was. You can see the pelican cases floating in the rear.

After a few minutes of trying I knew I would have to winch out but my door would not open, so I crawled out through the window and instantly was in water up to my stomach. With nothing to attach a inch to I walked a couple of miles to the tractor and drove it back. The problem was even with a 15,000 winch I just pulled the tractor to me not moving the truck. I finally gave up about 5am.

Most of my thermals, drone, ect were in pelican cases and stayed dry but I lost my expensive video camera, all my camera lenses, thousands of 22lr, 9mm, 40 cal, 45acp, 6.8, and 3.08 ammo. My LWRC Repr with the zeus pro 100mm, the M6IC with eotech and the apollo pro 50mm, and the savage 22lr with the Predator thermal were all submerged for 3-5 hours. They all turned on after recovering them minus the predator so a great waterproof test just not how I had planed on testing them.

Here is my video camera and one of the lenses lost.

Turns out the hole was 6 foot deep and filled with a type of quick sand. this is where they put in a natural gas line and it looks like the area where they dug up to put it in just collapsed. The hole was rectangular in shape and deep. I do not know if they will be liable or not, if not I only have liability insurance so everything will be a loss. The truck is at the shot getting all fluids, and fuel tank drained. But the whole rear is full of sand now so everything back there will be soaking for several days until i get it next weekend.

I know I lost my cameras and lenses, my foxpro is shot, the predator thermal a bunch of ammo, Several jackets boots and other things are still buried under the sand. All the lwrc rifles just needed a water hose and the eotechs all turned on, none of the vortex scopes had any issues. Lucky for me everything else was protected by the pelican cases I cant recommend those highly enough.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Damn.... I hope you have a recourse with the crew that did the work. I cannot imagine how you must feel.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That just make you sick...sorry for your loss. Good Luck, hope the Gas Company will help you.

Here are some more of the FB pics as some here cannot see.
This is Todd checking air pressure in the tires
535222_10153286365295222_1033912790918245911_n.jpg

Then the help came to get it out
10624673_10153286365345222_8941107708434801258_n.jpg

10176110_10153288544650222_5750770676030715706_n.jpg

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dadgum man - glad you got it out finally and you are ok. What a story!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Unbelievable!!!
Glad you are ok but that is a crazy story with some crazy pics!
Not sure whether to hit "Like" or not. LOL

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
this pic was taken after we pulled it out some I am standing up hooking the chain to the rear wheel, had to go under to reach it. The rear tires were not even hitting the bottom the front axle was holding everything up there was a wall there about 1 foot wide where I could get in there. It was cold I must say.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Unbelievable!!!
Glad you are ok but that is a crazy story with some crazy pics!
Not sure whether to hit "Like" or not. LOL
It will be a great story in a few months for me also Im sure, right now still a bit bummed about it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That water had to be cold, what were the air temps? you have pneumonia yet?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow just wow!!! The only thing that comes to mind is, Sorry that happen. I also hope the gas man will help out, seems like they should if they did not back fill properly?? That sure is a danger to stock!! Hog hunting is exciting and dangerous!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It may take a while for that to be a good story to tell. Glad you are ok, it could have turned out a lot worse.

dman62

LSB Member
That sucks hard man, sorry to hear that. One positive is that is a heck of a torture test for the equipment that survived. And the rest of the year should be a piece of cake, you got the worst out of the way. Glad you made it out of the truck, could have had an even worse ending.
I think I will get a Pelican case for carrying my rifles.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That water had to be cold, what were the air temps? you have pneumonia yet?
It was in the 30's no pneumonia yet just sore.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That sucks hard man, sorry to hear that. One positive is that is a heck of a torture test for the equipment that survived. And the rest of the year should be a piece of cake, you got the worst out of the way. Glad you made it out of the truck, could have had an even worse ending.
I think I will get a Pelican case for carrying my rifles.
Sad thing is I had empty pelican cases but had been filming so those things were not in the cases.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well you watch out, last thing you need is to get sick on top of everything else
Hope you got some alcohol and vinegar in your ears a few times do not need to get infection in the ears!! That was some nasty stuff!