silencerco omega??

Duett Parrish

I am in the market for a suppressor for use on 556 and 7.62. From my own reseach, it seems the Omega is best overall, hands down. I would like to hear from you folks if there is a suppressor I have missed....and it must be light enough to carry....not staimless steel.

Thanks from Georgia

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Depends on what you want to use it for. What are your priorities? Length, weight, sound, attachment, durability
Not saying that the Omega is a bad choice but it might not be the best fit for what you want to use it for.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Depends on what you want to use it for. What are your priorities? Length, weight, sound, attachment, durability
Not saying that the Omega is a bad choice but it might not be the best fit for what you want to use it for.
You would have to say that! I had my heart set on the Omega. Now you are going to make me due research. LOL

Duett Parrish

Shoozing hogs, coyotes, turtles, 3 gun competition. Want quiet with light wt...and multicaliber. Not going to buy a 223 dedicated can again

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have an Omega, which of those criteria is the Omega lacking in ?

It's fairly short and lightweight and came with a QD device. Is it less durable than other similar suppressors ?

I would like to hear what the recommendation is based on what he said he was going to be using it for.

Thanks.

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not saying that the Omega is a bad can. However there are other options that are just as good if not better. Since the Omega is a Titanium silencer it can develop a heat spot in the center of the silencer with a lot of rapid fire. This can discolor the silencer. Also Titanium tends to be for lighter use than other materials. Again not saying that it is a bad choice. Total system weight of the Omega with the brake/flash hider is 18.5 oz.

If you look at the Griffin Recce 7 it is half an inch longer and total system weight is 19 oz with the brake. It uses a taper mount which is know for accuracy and is made from stainless and inconel. It comes in about $200 less than the Omega and meters almost identical. Is full auto rated and rated for 300 win mag just like the Omega.

Both are great choices but for an increase in durability and lower cost I would personally look at the Recce. I think either way you go you will be happy just trying to save you money.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do not be;ieve that TLM was saying the Omega does not meet the criteria. He was suggesting to do your research first and he is certainly correct on that. I have shot the omega and it is a good suppressor, but there are a lot of suppressors out there that are good.

I have 6 suppressors and use primarily three. but that goes back a long way. Started the suppressor stuff 12 years ago. things have certainly changed since then. If I had more patience I would probably have more, but I hate giving the ATF 2 bills to do 15 minutes worth of work.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Since the Omega is a Titanium silencer it can develop a heat spot in the center of the silencer with a lot of rapid fire. This can discolor the silencer.

Like this I suppose:

image_zpse979ciiy.jpg

This is a recent pic of my omega which was used for night hog shooting. I routinely shoot over ten rounds in short order, but no full auto. Is this 100% cosmetic? Any internal damage occurring?

I chose the omega because it was full auto rated and was only slightly heavier than some of the lightest 30 cal cans on the market currently.

Thanks for your reply.

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is a perfect example of what I am talking about. I'm not saying that you are going to have issues with the silencer. However that is abnormal for most silencers but seems to happen more with Titanium silencers.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Camp equipment (stoves/cookware) made from titanium discolors with use (heat). Never heard of it having a negative affect on them.

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Camp equipment (stoves/cookware) made from titanium discolors with use (heat). Never heard of it having a negative affect on them.
Like I was saying, it's just a TI thing.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm waiting on an Omega, hate to hear its possibly not all I thought it was going to be. I'll be using it on a dedicated rifle so the issues with it unscrewing probably won't affect me. Except for the first few days after it gets here and I remove it to put it under my pillow at night.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm waiting on an Omega, hate to hear its possibly not all I thought it was going to be. I'll be using it on a dedicated rifle so the issues with it unscrewing probably won't affect me. Except for the first few days after it gets here and I remove it to put it under my pillow at night.

I think most of these problems came from firing a lot of rounds fast but it is still concerning.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM did you YHM Ti discolor at all with use? Since you use in a high volum bases?