Shooting with just the moonlight

Westonsherrill

LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Picked up a new ruger American predator 6.5 creedmore last week, and every time I get a new gun I always go out as soon as I can to get a kill with it to determine wether I am going to keep it or not. We spotted a big boat about 500 yards out with the thermal and decided to make a stalk on him. We got about a 100 yards away and I pulled the gun up, the moon was so bright last night I could see the boar and through the scope with out a flash light. So I got down on the sticks and put it right on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. It was a solid hit but he still managed to run about 50 yards before falling over. We do a lot of thermal hunting but it was fun switching it up and taking the bolt gun out with a regular scope on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 34

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog down! Hear good things about the 6.5 creed

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well done on that shot! Congrats, good hog down!

LSB Active Member
Went out last night it was amazing I had to wear my hat to reduce the glare off my glasses. The hogs are all wise to the green light now busted a sounder of 30+ 3x last night. 200 yards away with a 10+mph NE breeze in our face. On the 3rd time we stalked to maybe 100 yards b/f lighting them up and poof like they were shot out of a cannon just bolted. Unloaded, but 3 semi-autos didn't connect. Oh the shame. Took a beating on text from a few guys it was hilarious....our ball busting knows no bounds. In hindsight coulda woulda probably been able to shoot with moonlight, but we do have 3k head of cattle and always like to get that feedback with more light/eyes.

Last edited:

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Did you start with the beams high up,then slowly lower them down on the hogs ??
Had a guy explain it to me like this . . . and it really makes alot of sense. The hogs aren't necessarily spooked by the green glow. They get spooked when they see their black shadow "standing" next to them.
Try using the less powerful edges of the beam instead of the more focused center of the beam. --- pruhdlr

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
we do have 3k head of cattle
I know I can spend your money easier than mine but if I were shooting in/around that many cattle I would have a thermal instead of a green light. A stray bullet will only kill the most expensive one in the herd and the embarrassment would be unbearable. Even night vision has its limits in this area.

We hunt on a lot of acreage that is owned by close friends but the contract still states "if you kill it you buy it at my price". Kinda makes you a lot more careful with your shots!

LSB Active Member
I hear you trust me I was always nervous, but I only take shots with very specific criteria met. Painful I must have passed on 8-10 shots last week and the week before b/c things were not quite set up right. The only shots I took were right when they came out from the forest swamp through the fence line, ankle high grass and cows wayyyy behind me. I do have to accept some level of risk though with any livestock. Those shots I was willing to take the risk a bullet would have to do a 180 and go 1000 yards and hit beef.

LSB Active Member
Did you start with the beams high up,then slowly lower them down on the hogs ??
Had a guy explain it to me like this . . . and it really makes alot of sense. The hogs aren't necessarily spooked by the green glow. They get spooked when they see their black shadow "standing" next to them.
Try using the less powerful edges of the beam instead of the more focused center of the beam. --- pruhdlr
Good point thanks. Actually those were my last green light hunts my thermal should be here maybe by Friday.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good job! That's a decent sized hog!

Duffy

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shot! Which day scope are you using on the 6.5?