Shoot/No Shoot

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Just a fun little exercise that happened to me last night. At what would you be confident with the identification of this target in order to determine whether or not you can shoot it. Predators and hogs are okay to shoot. Deer, goats, horses, other livestock are not okay to shoot.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After the NUC, it looked 'yote to me. Before that... it was a toss up whether 'yote or deer.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
By the way it was standing I would have thought it was a fawn. But once it started to trot off and had the coyote bounce to it, I thought it was a yote.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting till after I turned on my IRD Hunter MK II to confirm deer or yote.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Deer, fawn.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He can only launch 1 or 2 shots, then chuck the jammed mag at them!
And, after that, tell everyone he's donated another body part to the feeding of critters.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
While standing still, I was about 90% sure it was a fawn. When I saw it walking, I didn't think it looked right for a fawn and when it responded to the lip squeak, I was certain it was a canid, probably a coyote. Of course, then it would not stop walking at that point and so I didn't have a decent shot.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Better safe than sorry!

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No Shoot. I wasn't certain until watching the vid several times.
Stop the video at 35 seconds, and check the turned head profile - looks like a doe/fawn to me.
Since we don't have instant replay in the field... better to hold fire and not take a possible yote unless 100% certain.
My $.02 ...

Russ Wickline

LSB Active Member
I say it was a deer. I had one the other night bouncing to my distressed fawn call. It acted the same way. I agree if your not 100% don't you can recall bullet afterwards.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I would not shoot. It looked like a fawn, then a coyote, then a fawn, then a coyote, then it was gone.