Sheath Making Concepts

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So... while rooting around one of my leather working storage boxes (supplies/tools), I found a trim knife which I'd forgotten that I'd purchased for myself. It's one which has (as of late) had me drooling over, and lusting after. There it was, still inside the box it came in, and with my receipt tucked away inside. Happy day !!!

These tools generally come in a box, or in a plastic package, without a sheath to store them in (inside your tool caddy/box, etc.). And, with my recent exercise in fashioning a sheath, sometimes the creative juices get to flowing and you begin to play that "what if?" game with yourself.

Well... the most recent "what if?" notion I've come up with is to make a two-tool sheath. One sheath for two tools takes up just that much LESS space inside my snazzy little wooden box. These tools generally are fashioned in such a way that a retention strap is of little use, so one usually makes his sheath with a wider mouth, which wraps around the handle too.

My concept here, is to have a sheath which is open at each end, allowing a tool to be inserted from each end. If I have a center divider to keep each tool from rubbing/scratching the other, then life is good. Retention means? Well... I already know I can fashion a double wedged piece of leather and glue it to the inside of either the front, or back face of the sheath. The added thickness acts as a friction device, pinching the blade. But, I'm kicking around another notion. I need to test each of the tools I'm considering for this project, and verify they will react to a magnet. If so, golden. The plan is, take a disc shaped rare earth magnet, like used to hold tools to a metal cabinet or large shop tool... and cut a round plug from my central piece of leather (separating the tools' blades). Next, pop this magnet into that round hole, and glue a very thin piece of leather over each side, securing the magnet in place... where it will remain. Depending on the strength of pull of the magnet, the amount of retention to the tool is determined. And, since it's in the center, one magnet to hold two tools.

Is seeing how this is done, something of interest here? No point in my posting the how-to if it's not of interest. If it is of interest, I can do a similar series of descriptions/pix to allow others to follow along.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Since it doesn't appear to be of interest, I'll simply add comment that it appears to work just fine. I think I'll make myself a knife sheath in this fashion as well. I have a small skinning blade that needs a better sheath than what it comes with (nylon). Instead of a retention strap, the pull of the magnet, along with snug fitting leather should suffice quite well.