SCAR hunting

Mindreader1

LSB Member
Hey y'all - so I just got a SCAR 17. Was hoping to launching 308 mayhem on the bacon to be. But read on some other forums that apparently the scar recoil wreaks havoc on the thermals. Just wanted to see if y'all have had any experience with scar shooting personally and can shed some light. Hopefully I don't have to re trade it!

Night Owl

LSB Member
The newer thermals from companies like Pulsar,Trijicon,Armasight,Flir can handle the SCAR's recoil impulse, no problem. If you are unsure of a particular thermal's recoil resiliency, contact the manufacturer first. The SCAR 17 is an awesome hog hunting gun. I love mine!

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wouldn't do it unless manufacturer told me they'd guarantee it.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The best rule of thumb is that if you have a concern, don't do it.

As I understand it, the issue with SCARs is not recoil pulse. At .308, the recoil pulse on the SCAR isn't going to be more than the .308 recoil pulse on a lighter bolt action rifle. The purported problem occurs in the other direction with bolt slap. Some folks call is reverse recoil. Maybe that is an issue. I don't know. See this thread... Standard Zeus mounted on SCAR17s (bad idea?) | Lone Star Boars and contact firemedic to see whatever happened with his.