SBR noise levels with suppressors

Discussion in 'NFA/CLASS 3 ITEMS OTHER THAN SUPPRESSORS' started by 437, May 13, 2018.

1. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Anyone have any input on what I'm dealing with noise wise over say my 16" barrel? Thinking about 11" SBR. I've heard SBR's w/o suppressors and dang ouch, but never heard one suppressed. Thanks guys. FYI no suppressor currently probably 1/3rd of the way through my approval process(I hope!) sans any snafus.

2. chthump

chthump LSB Member

Ive got a 7 1/2 inch AR shooting 223/556 cal. Its way to loud with a gemtech (i think its a G5) suppressor, still blows fire out if the suppressor

Itll will make blood come out of your ears without the suppressor, shot it once without ear plugs surpressed, never again

Im curious how a 300 blackout SBR with subsonic ammo would sound suppressed

Ive shot 16" barrel 300BO subs suppressed, very impressive

3. Rookie

Rookie LSB Member

I shoot my 223 10.5 inch barrel with my griffin optimus. It's hearing safe-ish for a few shots.

4. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Had a 223 in 10.5" I think it was. First time in woods shooting at hogs, no ear muffs or plugs obviously and i was on my knees in pain. Never again.

5. fanninland

fanninland LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Hunt with 12.5” *** barrel in 6.8, Crux Nemisis which is a short (6”) light Ti can. Not sure if it’s considered hearing safe but I’ve put a couple thousand rounds thru it and it doesn’t bother me a bit. OTOH my 12.5” *** in 5.56 with Ident .30cal can seems harder on my ears.

6. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Ok thakns guys that is what I wanted to know. While it would be nice to shorten up my OA length with can it starts to defeat my reasons for getting a suppressor. Will stick with 16".

7. WhoCares

WhoCares LSB Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I shoot a 6.8 with a 7” & 12.5” barrel. I have 2 suppressors. A Griffin DT Sportsman and a Surefire SOCOM. Both are around 8” long. The Griffin is much quieter than the Surefire but the Surefire is designed for full auto mag dumps. I hunt with both and I do not fell the need for ear pro, but I only shoot a few rounds here and there. At the range I use ear pro

8. Wildfowler

Wildfowler Mis'sippi SUS VENATOR CLUB

I’d personally stick with 16” unless you want to wear muffs or ear plugs while hunting.

Say this reminds me. I’ve been meaning to ask.

Does a suppressor “tuned“ rifle sound more quiet than one which is over gassed.

In other words, can you quiet down a suppressed rifle by keeping the bolt closed just a little longer?

Reason I ask. I swear my 16” 30 Herrett sounds more quiet to me than my 10” blackout with supersonic rounds.

9. 437

437 LSB Active Member

I will always wear hearing protection even with a suppressor. I believe the 'quietest' recorded dB I've seen measured on yootoobes for the right side of a semi-auto was 119 with subsonic and I will be using supers. If memory serves Q told me to expect around 130 dB's with supers on a 308AR.....no freaking way am I going naked ears at 130db ever!

10. chthump

chthump LSB Member

Some call it tinnitus, I call it freedom ringing so loud, i can't stop hearing it