Savage MKII FV-SR Upgrade

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Savage Mark 2 FV-SR
I have had this 22lr rifle for sometime now and it has been accurate and reliable, and for the money it was a great buy. FYI makes for a great host gun when shooting suppressed rats or rabbits.

My biggest gripe is the stock. The factory stock feels cheap (which it is). First it is flimsy especially around the barrel, you can flex the stock and it will touch the barrel, second the stock feels too thin, third the comb is way too short and your jaw is resting on the stock when shooting it.

*Links in Blue*

So I set out to replace the stock and from my research most folks went with Boyds Pro Varmint Laminate Stock. Which looked like it would fit the bill, but I have come to dislike the traditional black gun and didn't want a black rubber, nutmeg, pepper finished stock.

So went with the same stock from Boyds but unfinished so I could add my own paint scheme to it.

First off when I receive the stock it was sanded ok from Boyd's, it had some imperfections that needed to be sanded out. Some of the imperfections where valleys, scratches, sanding marks, tooling, etc. Nothing a DA and sanding block couldn't take care of. In total I spent 20 minutes for the initial prep sand.

Next I applied Automotive primer in about 3 coats to build up enough material for prep sanding. Once cured I block sanded with 180 grit, then 220 grit, finished with wet sanding at 1000 grit. Which finished the prep for the final top coat. For the top coat I went with Rust-Oleum Multi-Color Textured in Autumn Brown, which I choose because it had a semi rough texture but not like sandpaper and not rubber feeling which I didn't want. Plus I could choose different colors I was torn on Desert Bisque because it was like FDE, but went with the darker brown.

After installing the new Bottom Metal and Trigger Guard, the stock is completed. I like how it turned out, nothing like I have seen around. Overall the gun is heavier, but the tactical shape to the stock makes for a very comfortable shooting position. The finish is rough, but just enough to provide a non slip surface.

Not bad for $200 and a few hours of work and I know some of you have the same gun and may be interested in this upgrade.

For those wanting this stock without needing to refinish, here are some links.
Direct from Boyd's
Product Detail
Add Conversion components are needed if direct from Boyds
Savage 22LR Trigger Guard - Bottom Metal Kit

Everything needed from DIP Inc. (Multi options)
Savage Rimfire Parts and Accessories

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I like the direction you took on this. I have the same rifle and know exactly what you mean about the flimsy original stock. Good job Brian.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's a nice looking rig now. Handy little tree rat killer.