Saturday nights hunt 7 down.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After working on feeders and game cams all day, no sign of hogs, and only 4 hours sleep in 72 hours I was debating on just going home Saturday. But my wife's cousins have some property close by and they invited me over to hunt some hogs with them (these are the guys who caught the 330lb boar alive :eek:).

Now neither one of them have night vision. They either use dogs or very bright lights to hunt. So of course they wanted to check out this night vision / thermal hog hunting. One of them has a new Jeep Wrangler 4 door so we took the top off and I rode standing in the back seat scanning with the nv and thermal. Let me tell you this is the way to do it! I could see everything up there!

For the first hour all we spotted were deer, coyotes, foxes, and coons. But then I spotted two piglets run across the private rd in front of us. As we got closer I saw the sow, she was young and had about 8 piglets with her. Standing in the back of the Jeep I just hit the laser pop'ed her DRT and then hit two of the piglets. The rest escaped but again will be easy targets in the future!

Now we move forward in time about 30 minutes. As we drive up to a feeder plot I spot two large boars out in it! I hand them the thermal so they can watch and make my stalk. At fifty yards the boars don't even suspect a thing! That jeep is quiet and these hogs have never been hunted with night vision!!! As Im about to squeeze the trigger all I can think is man I forgot to give them the phone to record. :( Pop thud Pop thud two boars down that quick. As they drive up her cousin yells out I got the whole thing on my phones video! Yay he saved the night!!!!

The next encounter was a first for me. There were three sounders of about 20 each in a field full with knee high goat weed. The strange thing was there were no adults they were all piglets from football to 30-40 pound size. Only thing I can think is they have killed off all the adults???? We were going to all open fire on them. But while I could see the piglets fine from up top using night vision the weeds would just reflect the white light. Then the other problem was getting a clear shot. A heard of cattle was to the right, a gas tank and his house were to the left. We decided to drive right into them and scare them into the open. That plan failed miserably. Instead of running from us they ran right across in front of us and straight to his house :mad: so there was no safe shot. But then two footballs came running up on the other side some how they had separated from the other groups. Pop pop pop and they were dead.

It was not even 1am yet and we already had 7 dead pigs! Her cousins say they don't ever really start moving until after 2am there. But we were all exhausted and stopped with lucky number 7. I dont know how much fun they really had driving around in the dark listening to me shoot but I had a blast!

I failed on the pictures we were having such a grand time I only got a pic of the two boars. I did not have my scale or tape with me but they were both over two hundred pounds.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great couple of hogs there !!

CSims

McKinney, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It was a terrific hunt. Seeing first hand the thermal and nite vision in action was incredible. Todd has equipment for the job no doubt!

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What kinda of thermal are you using? I may need to add one to my collection of toys.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I forgot to add I had a weird malfunction. Twice my rifle failed to feed with one magazine. Now since this magazine was present the last time I hunted with the Kit Kat Kid protocol says to unload and check for chocolate. None was found, just a bad spring!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like Ident is going to get a call very soon. Once you have seen NV and thermal it is hard to keep that CC in the wallet.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like Ident is going to get a call very soon. Once you have seen NV and thermal it is hard to keep that CC in the wallet.

Yes I let them know who to call!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He probably already licked the chocolate off... nuttin' but sticky left behind !!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Should have whacked the coons with the 300 just to say you did it.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea when I get another lower. To much trouble switching back and forth.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
good job. I haven't had the chance to play with supressed yet. How well does it work on hogs that have been shot at plenty? Usually by the time I get the call from landowners every yeahoo kin to them has shot at them!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Suppressed mainly saves your ears. It basically sounds like a 22 with a much louder impact. The hogs know they are being shot at, but it does confuse them on which direction the shots are coming from.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I find they are often cofused about direction anyway. Especially in high wind. I plan to play with supressed at some point. I just haven't found a sponsor for it yet.
thanks for the info

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I find they are often cofused about direction anyway. Especially in high wind. I plan to play with supressed at some point. I just haven't found a sponsor for it yet.
thanks for the info
I've only hunted suppressed the last year or so. The confusion is on a whole different level :). Plus it's nice to shoot next to a farm house at 3am and not wake the farmer!

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I figured it had to be better.

I hear ya! we are asked on occasion to hunt residentail areas. It would be nice then as well.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
hey lawman where are you located? I'm near Decatur TX.