Ruger SR1911 or ?

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
Looking to buy a nightstand pistol in 1911, 45 ACP

I've been thinking real hard about a Ruger SR1911, but I'm undecided.

Anyway, I would like to stay around a grand or under and wondered if there are others American made pistols I should consider ?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rock Island Armory has been touted as being a great value for the money. Inspite of the haters, I'm very pleased with my Kimber. Of course... my Colt too. That Ruger has been looking pretty good.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have them on my Kimber (Officer's Model class). They came with the gun. I absolutely love 'em. Adjustable for windage/elevation, fully self-containted (no modification needed to the gun), master power switch (I leave it "on"), and a pressure switch activated by the middle finger when acquiring your shooting grip.

Kimber002-1.jpg

Kimber001.jpg

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I always saw Rock Island as great build starters for the guy who likes to tinker with their guns.

I have been eyeballing the some Para's too like the Elite LS Hunter and LDA carry. Still undecided if I want another 45 or a 10mm even maybe a 1911 in 9mm. I still don't have a 1911 in a different caliber than 45.

Still that Rugar SR1911 is a fine gun and definitely is a contender.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a Kimber and two Colts and can't find any reason to complain about either. The Ruger, however, is a very well made piece and comes in about $200 - $300 under either of these. It also has some of the options many people want already installed (ie beaver-tail grip safety) and is made in the good ole USA. The Rock Island is a well made gun as a starter for those who would like to tinker with a much less expensive piece, but it is not made in the USA. It's from the Philippines, but to mil spec standards. Ruger has come out with an officers version of the SR1911 that is really sweet and just might cause me to get in trouble with my wife.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I carry a kimber gold combat every day it has been a great pistol. But I've also seen a huge number of kimbers fail at work.

1911's should have 6" barrels.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a Kimber Gold Combat as well as a box stock Kimber Custom II. Never an issue with either. The Custom II is 16 years old and gets shot quite a lot.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I carry a kimber gold combat every day it has been a great pistol. But I've also seen a huge number of kimbers fail at work.

1911's should have 6" barrels.

External extractor models, or internal? I think they tried the externals for a while, had problems with them and went back to the internal extractor. Could also be some M.I.M. parts failing too.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't like striker fired triggers, and I'm not a big fan of combat Tupperware... however... IF I were going to have one in the .45ACP flavor, it'd most definitely be the XDm. I'm told there are trigger kits for them, haven't fired one with a kit... but the OEM fits my paw (probably better than a 1911) very nicely, and I shoot one accurately (inspite of the trigger).

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
WM,

Since you have access to unlimited amounts of guns and I am in a shooting club (unlimited access) with three (3) 50yd pistol ranges, 100-600 yds rifle ranges and a shotgun range, we need to hookup and have some fun.............Wait we need to invite someone with unlimited amounts of ammo.

At least this way, I can let the gun pick me;)

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WM,

Since you have access to unlimited amounts of guns and I am in a shooting club (unlimited access) with three (3) 50yd pistol ranges, 100-600 yds rifle ranges and a shotgun range, we need to hookup and have some fun.............Wait we need to invite someone with unlimited amounts of ammo.

At least this way, I can let the gun pick me;)

I like the way you think.