Ruger Mini-14 in 6.8

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Father in law saw one these at a local gun shop and was going to buy as a ranch rifle for his place in OK. Looking over the specs, it seems all the rugers in 6.8 used the original SPC1 chamber. If I remember from when I built my 6.8, the SPC1 chamber cannot handle "hot or tactical ammo".
Anyone have any experience with this mini-14? Other than ammo that specifically say Tactical or hand loads that were purposely loaded hot, could he just use most off the shelf ammo like the 120g SSTs?

Thanks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yep is is a SPC not a SPCII and it will shoot 95% of the ammo made for the 6.8...I am not so sure it will not shoot the TTSX loads but then being a Ruger I would not shoot them in it. Off the shelf should all be good to go except for the TAC loads.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They can be reamed for the TAC loads...I would not but they can be.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That platform is not known for tight groupings either.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
That platform is not known for tight groupings either.
Yeah, I had read that. He was looking for something to keep in the farm truck, looking at shots < 100 yards. Would not be something I would get, but he is a little impulsive on gun buys. The good news is that he just bought a nice lever action he was going to use in the farm truck but he decided it was a little too nice so he wants to put the lever action in the gun safe and give it to my oldest son sometime in the future.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As long as he keeps passing them down...you keep telling him, yes dad, you should get one of those. lol