Rock Island 1911 A2 in .22 TCM and 9mm

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting little round... love the platform already.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Probably some of the people that hates Glocks due to their "unsupported chamber" will love this gun.........well......just because.

Look at the pic...........that'll shoot your eye out ! --- pruhdlr

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, I likes a supported chamber, make no excuses for it either. This one doesn't look too shabby.

DSC06991.JPG

Doesn't matter WHO's make it is, I like that extra margin of safety that a supported chamber provides.

big_supp-not_supp.jpg

And, I still want an external safety too. Nobody said you had to list either of those as important to you. They are to me.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know if they still do, but, there was a reason Glock use to include "do not shoot reloaded ammunition" in their guns. The unsupported chamber allowed for "bulge" of the casing. This needed to be "worked" back with sizing. The extra working of the brass in this bulge area causes the brass to harden faster than other areas. Eventually... unpleasant things happen when firing hardened brass with an unsupported chamber. Here's an extreme example... now, if I can choose between supported and unsupported, this boy's choosing supported... since I reload. If I shoot "new" rounds once and dispose of my brass, then it's more of a non-issue.

Unsupported_45acp_chamber.jpg

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I did a little research and think this .22 round is not really new. (nothing really is).
There was a round called the .22 carbine, made by necking down the M1 30 carbine case to .22. out of a rifle it achieved 2815fps with 14gr of4227 powder and a 45gr bullet.
Load that with about 12 gr of 4198 powder and you should see about 2100fps out of a pistol, give or take a little.
I realize this round is made from shortened .223 brass but the similarities are very much there.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Quite an interesting little round.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
This is my first RIA and have handled custom Colts, etc in 1911 's that cost 2-5x's more.

The trigger is sweet at 3.5 lbs, no creep, take up or side to side movement.

so far, no feed issues(9mm), accuracy, fit and finish is good and better than most (exceeds it's price tag which is surprising for a production gun).

Will continue to update as time allows.

PS: My plans are to feed 500 rounds of 9mm and 500 rounds .22 TCM through her which is what Armscor says the " break-in periods" are.

As stated above, She feeds and functions like a dream with the Rem UMC FMJ 9mm (115gr). I picked up some Winchester (white box)FMJ and Hornady CD to try as well.

Aslo, Not sure what lb recoil spring she has for the 9mm and .22, but it's super easy to pull the slide back.

I'm a little suspicious that it might start failing to return to battery after 500 rounds, but only time will tell (Note: WC makes a great replacement recoil springs for 1911's in 9mm).

Last edited:

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nuttin' like a GOOD trigger on a handgun. I have a hard time getting excited about your run of the mill striker fire pistol... the triggers generally suck.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I'm diggin this pistol. It's unbelievable the function, and over-all quality of this pistol for the dollars spent.

She continues to eat everything I feed her and the handling of this pistol is like shooting a .22 lr (even the 9mm) and I contribute the weight of the all steel frame to this.

After the holidays have passed, I'm picking up one in 10 mm.

PS: I modified the sights by adding three white dots, one on the front and two on the rear. I done this using an 1/8" drill bit by dimpling and filled in using a toothpick with white paint.

Here is a pic that I took with my cell which doesn't do justice:

Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Does anyone make dies for it?

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Isn't that chamber still unsupported at the 9 and 3 o'clock position? Maybe I just don't know what that means? Can someone explain that?

I think it redding who makes a 40 caliber size die where you push the whole case through the die to fully iron out the glock bulge.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey txcoondog got the info on 6.8 thanks. Now I an very interested in the gun. Just what I need another pistol.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What would be the deal,is a threaded barrel to,use with a 22 suppresor

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I've had a few folks ask about ammo and reloading supplies.

Ammo Supply Warehouse has loaded ammo and reloading supplies such as bullets, brass, dies and etc.

Chrony readings (factory) from this past weekend:

1748, 2073, 2023, 2071, 2040, and 2057

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am really temped but I just bought the HK USP 45. It is hard to make me buy another handgun