Rifle season ended last night: Time to focus on hogz/coyotes

LSB Active Member
Ok so I can officially put Bullwinkle in the rear view mirror and concentrate on pests. I have a few more musings that are pushing at me tonight.

1. Living in SW Florida it rains a LOT. And easily the best hogging is in the rain for us. Does this pretty much follow any good practices with electronics and water? I cannot fathom taking a 2+k thermal out for a night in the rain, but maybe it's safe for that?

2. Seems to me at this point NV doesn't offer much of anything over a good green light looking at videos in terms of killing. I think the X-Sight is neat with video capture etc, but honestly as far as what the yootoobes shows I rather take a $20 green light into the rain and not worry about it. So, as of today I feel like I'm ready to mark NV off the list and go green light until thermal becomes doable $ wise. IF and only IF I can take thermals into the reality of wet hunting.

3. If water is a definite no bueno what might be a better course of action for night hunting? Feeder green lights?

Thanks for helping me arrive at some kind of new direction here as we are on a massive hog control mission they really disrupted our deer this year not having trappers stay after them it's a huge issue for us to get on top of.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In my experience, hogs have noticed green hunting lights. I'm not saying that to push you to go out and buy a night vision unit but that's my experience.

A lot of your newer night vision units are waterproof. I'm very protective of my gear, so I've never put any of my gear to the test about being waterproof.

darrohn801

LSB Member
Ok so I can officially put Bullwinkle in the rear view mirror and concentrate on pests. I have a few more musings that are pushing at me tonight.

1. Living in SW Florida it rains a LOT. And easily the best hogging is in the rain for us. Does this pretty much follow any good practices with electronics and water? I cannot fathom taking a 2+k thermal out for a night in the rain, but maybe it's safe for that?

2. Seems to me at this point NV doesn't offer much of anything over a good green light looking at videos in terms of killing. I think the X-Sight is neat with video capture etc, but honestly as far as what the yootoobes shows I rather take a $20 green light into the rain and not worry about it. So, as of today I feel like I'm ready to mark NV off the list and go green light until thermal becomes doable $ wise. IF and only IF I can take thermals into the reality of wet hunting.

3. If water is a definite no bueno what might be a better course of action for night hunting? Feeder green lights?

Thanks for helping me arrive at some kind of new direction here as we are on a massive hog control mission they really disrupted our deer this year not having trappers stay after them it's a huge issue for us to get on top of.

I've heard the Armasight Zeus PRO models are completely waterproof. I too only take my stuff out in pretty decent weather. Not worth it to me to risk it. I also have the ATN night sight that I don't use much now that I have thermal, but for $500 it's a pretty suite setup with a good IR light attached. I would spend $500 on the ATN X sight 2 and take that out in the crap weather. It's waterproof and if it craps out you're not out your expensive thermal stuff.

LSB Active Member
I've heard the Armasight Zeus PRO models are completely waterproof. I too only take my stuff out in pretty decent weather. Not worth it to me to risk it. I also have the ATN night sight that I don't use much now that I have thermal, but for $500 it's a pretty suite setup with a good IR light attached. I would spend $500 on the ATN X sight 2 and take that out in the crap weather. It's waterproof and if it craps out you're not out your expensive thermal stuff.

What kind of range did you experience with your ATN? Could you stretch it out to 200? We have some nice shooting houses that lend themselves to a lot of shots in the 2-300 range which I'd love to keep in the wheel house of night hunts THAT would be king. I'd truly be locked in to that right there b/c in the house we are ok with rain and if I can identify the direction the pig is going at those ranges I might just plunge on the ATN. From what I was seeing on youtoobes it seemed like 100 which I can already get with a greenie.

Thanks as always guys

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I went from the green light to the X-sight, it is like going from a skateboard to motorcycle!

use a cover/bag or other protection, I am in a blind when raining but night vision at least digital will not work in the rain or fog too much bloom

LSB Active Member
Frank I'd be grateful if you could give me all you feel up for sharing on the X-sight. Useable distances, wishes, don't do's etc. I'd much prefer an opinion from someone here than a random ATN web page review/Amazon etc.

With the ATN I love the price point and that it can use it as a day light sight as well b/c that was going to be a real bummer to have a night set up only or have to swap out the scope. I love my 308AR it's hard to imagine it, but it's become my favorite even over my trusty Weatherby now.

1. longest you can realistically make out game?
2. longest kill you have with it?
3. image loss after shot from muzzle flash?

Point 3 that's one thing I don't deal with in a greenie i'm able to ping away repeatedly with the AR in the dark. I'm noticing on the videos with NV that the screen flashes out so it seems like you get one shot and the image is gone for a few seconds. Is that accurate? At that point I'd probably put it on my deer gun, but since we have some massive hog eradicating to do this summer I really do want the ability to take multiples vs one and wait a few seconds. Most of our spots don't give more than 50 yards b/f they can get to cover.

Thanks

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First I hate ATN, second I waited for 8 mos after it was promised, went thru 2 and gave up sent them back! Now a year ago I got a used Gen1 3-12($400) for the FOV better than the 5-12 and it is very light...and works. go figure. For $400 I got what I think is a grade or 2 over a green/red light

Anyway I have an after market IR light for it and it is ID and shootable to 150 maybe 200yds, daytime 300 is possible. Yes at night you will most of the time get a washout after the shot, sometimes not, that is the bounce back from the IR light. Now during a full moon you might be able to shoot 100 yds w/o it.

You could do your ID with the X-Sight off the gun, get ready, set up and know where the targets are and shoot with your greenie, big advantage over turning on the light then having to look around. BUT I can easily do that with my ATN spotter for $120 also ATN DNVM-2 there is a 4x and 6x too ATN Dnvm-2 Digital Night Vision Monocular | eBay

So bottom line it is better than a greenie for me while waiting on $ for a thermal

Last edited:

darrohn801

LSB Member
First I hate ATN, second I waited for 8 mos after it was promised, went thru 2 and gave up sent them back! Now a year ago I got a used Gen1 3-12($400) for the FOV better than the 5-12 and it is very light...and works. go figure. For $400 I got what I think is a grade or 2 over a green/red light

Anyway I have an after market IR light for it and it is ID and shootable to 150 maybe 200yds, daytime 300 is possible. Yes at night you will most of the time get a washout after the shot, sometimes not, that is the bounce back from the IR light. Now during a full moon you might be able to shoot 100 yds w/o it.

You could do your ID with the X-Sight off the gun, get ready, set up and know where the targets are and shoot with your greenie, big advantage over turning on the light then having to look around. BUT I can easily do that with my ATN spotter for $120 also ATN DNVM-2 there is a 4x and 6x too ATN Dnvm-2 Digital Night Vision Monocular | eBay

So bottom line it is better than a greenie for me while waiting on $ for a thermal
Did you have the original ATN sight or the X 2? I know the first one had a bunch of problems, but the ATN X Sight 2 has been great for me and I would definitely recommend it. You could easily shoot out to 200 yards with a good IR flood light. I got the one from UNV for $200 and it makes all the difference in the world. If you do go the ATN route make sure to get the latest model and download the latest firmware. Get the 3X sight as well because the new firmware will allow you magnification from 3X all the way up to 30X.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I sent the first gen 1's back, the current one I have is also a Gen 1 but a much later mfg and works fine...I prefer the Gen1 for what I need and for $400 is all I wanted to spend and my IR light runs great for $15, they all come from China and mine is long range too and zooms

LSB Active Member
Did you have the original ATN sight or the X 2? I know the first one had a bunch of problems, but the ATN X Sight 2 has been great for me and I would definitely recommend it. You could easily shoot out to 200 yards with a good IR flood light. I got the one from UNV for $200 and it makes all the difference in the world. If you do go the ATN route make sure to get the latest model and download the latest firmware. Get the 3X sight as well because the new firmware will allow you magnification from 3X all the way up to 30X.

Do you get washout at night after a shot?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"Yes it is a good life lesson to never put anything in your rear. " no wonder DJ can't hit what he shoots at, that explains it all...what a pervert!