Repairing a cheap gun sight

Discussion in 'Firearms; Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol, accessories.' started by jglass, Oct 13, 2017.

1. jglass

jglass LSB Member

Last year when I did my first AR-15 build I wanted to have a carry handle mounted to the upper receiver.[​IMG]

I found one for $20 at "Cheaper than Dirt" dot com. Made in China, The rear site incorporated in the handle adjustments for elevation and windage. The sight itself was loose in the elevation feature. I took it apart today to find the elevation adjusting screw had .015 clearance between the screw and the hole. Gave it some thought and this is what I came up with.

[​IMG]

I added some dowel pin holes to make the elevation members guided on dowel pins instead of guided on the sloppy adjusting screw.

Overhead view shows I found room for (4)dowel pin guides but only used 2 of them. 2 holes are spares because the 2 guide pins hold the moveable member rock solid. Ignor the 6-32 tapped holes. That was my last attempt to make the rear gun site rigid.

[​IMG]

Guide dowels are engaged and the elevation member is now guided by the fixed member. This position is about where it should be but a test firing will tell for sure. The front site also has a vertical adjustment if needed..[​IMG]

Hopefully I found a way to take a cut rate gun site and convert it into a quality gun site. Better yet order
    a carry handle from Palmetto State Armory. I got a darn good carry handle from them for $65