Remington Accelerators

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anyone remember those puppies? Factory loaded ammunition for: .308, .30-30, .30-06 which were a .223 cal/55 gr. slug with a sabot.

In my .30-06, this round was a 4080 fps load with nearly 2100 lb/ft of energy at the muzzle.

RemAcc1.jpg

1685308_01_remington_30_06_accelerator_55_640.jpg

The Feds made Remington drop this loading for the .308 and .30-06... for fear of it being used as a sniper load by civilians. As far as I know, it's still being offered for .30-30.

Guess what I stumbled onto about a year ago when I got to missing this bullet !! (I found one or two SINGLE loads on various auction places... going for $20 per bullet) I've still got at least one whole box of these stashed.

Anyhow... here's what I found, and got myself stocked up with.

http://www.eabco.com/remington-accelerator-sabots.html

077-sab.jpg

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
But yet you could easily buy a 220Swift or a 22-250......makes allot of sense. Anyway.....?.....the feds,always doing the dopey stuff.

Had some in 308 up until about 5 years ago. Sold them for $40 or so per box. IIRC they were extremely inaccurate. I have bought the sabots and different .224" bullets but never got better than 5MOA. Seemed too iffy to get the bullet into the sabot,then the sabot seated in the brass....all square.

Some guys are using sabots to shoot the heavy .308" bullets out of their 50BMG. --- pruhdlr

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My dad and I killed a LOT of caribou with these. I eventually went with a .22-250 as my caribou gun though. I don't recall groupings that large with mine... I'll find out as I load some up and try 'em out.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But yet you could easily buy a 220Swift or a 22-250......makes allot of sense. Anyway.....?.....the feds,always doing the dopey stuff.

Had some in 308 up until about 5 years ago. Sold them for $40 or so per box. IIRC they were extremely inaccurate. I have bought the sabots and different .224" bullets but never got better than 5MOA. Seemed too iffy to get the bullet into the sabot,then the sabot seated in the brass....all square.

Some guys are using sabots to shoot the heavy .308" bullets out of their 50BMG. --- pruhdlr
That's why we couldn't sell them. People had a hard time getting minute of whitetail out of them. Interesting concept though.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No riffling marks on the bullets so could not trace.
Ding-ding-ding !!! We have a winner ! Exactly the first thing I thought when I bought my first box. Different caliber bullet, no rifling on the bullet. The Feds eventually caught on to that concept. Comically, though... the .30-30 was left alone... lord knows... NO one kills anything with those !!! (Where do these people come from????) LOL

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ding-ding-ding !!! We have a winner ! Exactly the first thing I thought when I bought my first box. Different caliber bullet, no rifling on the bullet. The Feds eventually caught on to that concept. Comically, though... the .30-30 was left alone... lord knows... NO one kills anything with those !!! (Where do these people come from????) LOL
College!