Reloading 6.8 SPC

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A friend of mine close by has been reloading for more then 40 years, and invited me months ago to come over and look over his setup. You cold say he's been very into guns and hunting, and has several mounts on the walls of his living space.

After the 4 hour "how to" session I asked him, if I ordered a die set and other tools & supplies for a 6.8 SPC, if he would help me get going on his press and other equipment. He said yes and we sat down on his computer to look for supplies. Other then bullets and primers which Ill pick up from academy, everything else is ordered and soon to be on the way.

The Bastrop Academy has Hornady 110 bthp & 130 sst in stock. I've yet to hear anyone on here talk about the 130's. I have a 16" 1 in 10 twist and have an interest in trying the 130 gr. Has anyone had the chance to try them out?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What's the length of the 130s? Many times, folks have found that traditional .270 bullets are longer. As such, the magazine length for loading them requires seating so deep that you lose too much powder capacity to gain a benefit. I'd compare their length to the 120 SSTs and find out what those numbers to do your intended efforts.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What's the length of the 130s? Many times, folks have found that traditional .270 bullets are longer. As such, the magazine length for loading them requires seating so deep that you lose too much powder capacity to gain a benefit. I'd compare their length to the 120 SSTs and find out what those numbers to do your intended efforts.

Im not sure. However it is printed up in Hornadys 9th edition relaoding handbook. 4 of there 130 gr .277 bullts including the GMX are listed in the 6.8 SPC section. The largest powder load printed is "H322 26.9 gr" as a max load and lists 2300 fps

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I dunno, never heard of anyone using that bullet in a 6.8 (not that it hasn't been done, I'm just not aware of its use). And, AA2200 seems to be about the most popular powder for this cartridge, for anything heavier than 95gr. of bullet. The next thing I'd be inquiring about (for considering that recipe) is, what the minimum velocity is needed for that bullet to perform as intended, and, at what distance that recipe is still pushing that pill at the minimum velocity (given the listed muzzle velocity is 2300 fps).

The next thing I'd be wanting to know (for considering the use of that recipe) is what my mags' loading length limits provide me, and whether I was able to play with the seating depth to gain a little powder capacity.

The bolt-gun guys don't have the mag dimension limitations that the AR platform has, so it may be a more common recipe for guys shooting a bolt gun. "?"

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've got a batch of 120 SST's for cheap if you want HMU.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The bolt-gun guys don't have the mag dimension limitations that the AR platform has, so it may be a more common recipe for guys shooting a bolt gun. "?"

I read a bunch of posts on other forums and very few people are using 130 in the 6.8, so I've scrapped the idea. Ive had fair groups with the hornady 110 bthp, and great results with the sst in my .243 so I got a box of 100 ordered for the 6.8 and will try both. I however ordered 8 lbs of aa-1680 as the 2200 wasn't listed in the hornady book.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've got a batch of 120 SST's for cheap if you want HMU.

I may take ya up on it. I'm going to load a few and try them out in the gun and see how it goes.

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I loaded some 130 bergers and 130 sst last night to give them a try.
but my go to load is 120 sst with RL10x, not sure on the speed but they shoot really good.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I loaded some 130 bergers and 130 sst last night to give them a try.
but my go to load is 120 sst with RL10x, not sure on the speed but they shoot really good.

Cool let me know how the 130s shoot.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The 130sst is going to be a bit long to get a good charge behind. The aa1680 powder is too fast for anything heavier than 95grs.
If you want to use the 130sst, get some aa2200 or 1200-r, h335 and aa2230 as distant second options. Seat long and run a standard primer, light or no crimp.
If you want to use the 1680 powder find some 90gr pills and shoot away.
I no longer have a 6.8, but I did a ton of load development and testing.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
IMO . . and for me,the 120gr bullets will yield better trajectories at the long(er) ranges if that is what you are looking for. The 120gr Hornady SST is one of the best.
If you go to a lighter bullet (<111gr)there are some rather large B.C.'s to be had and they can be launched somewhat faster. In most cases,the heavier bullet,with the slower MV will not gain you anything worth the trouble.
Also IMO,the 90-100gr bullets are about perfect for the 6.8. ---SAWMAN

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
IMO . . and for me,the 120gr bullets will yield better trajectories at the long(er) ranges if that is what you are looking for. ---SAWMAN

This is the direction Im headed in. I'm just waiting for the 120's & primers to get in.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Would almost be positive that a 130gr. GMX would be too long for both powder capacity or able to seat to mag length.
As stated . . . There are quite a few bullets of the lower weights that are both boat tail and/or of a solid copper makeup that will serve you well. For me it is the Barnes TSX or TTSX in either the 85 or 95gr weights. --- SAWMAN

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is the direction Im headed in. I'm just waiting for the 120's & primers to get in.
Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Stick with whatever bullet has a good SD that you can drive at a good velocity. You will be good to go.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Would almost be positive that a 130gr. GMX would be too long for both powder capacity or able to seat to mag length.
As stated . . . There are quite a few bullets of the lower weights that are both boat tail and/or of a solid copper makeup that will serve you well. For me it is the Barnes TSX or TTSX in either the 85 or 95gr weights. --- SAWMAN

The info on the barns stuff looks great but I don't want to spend the extra money on them.
Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Stick with whatever bullet has a good SD that you can drive at a good velocity. You will be good to go.
Just what I was thinking. What about using a crimp die?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The info on the barns stuff looks great but I don't want to spend the extra money on them.

I do not use one. Remember if you do to mic the necks and always crimp the same amount or your accuracy will suffer. This is why I only use crimp dies on pistol rounds.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

I use the rcbs die with the roll crimp in the seating die and it works great. When I tried the factory crimp die my accuracy did suffer with the .300 WTF.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB

I use the rcbs die with the roll crimp in the seating die and it works great. When I tried the factory crimp die my accuracy did suffer with the .300 WTF.
No need to crimp rifle rounds IMO. If you have a progressive loader and a taper crimp die you can leave in it no problem. Everything remains the same. As long as you trim your brass.

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I forgot to mention i cut the tips off the 130sst just to seat them out longer. I have a bunch of them and dont shoot my 270 anymore so figured why not just burn them in the 6.8

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You can run the 130gmx, but your going to top out around 2200fps with a 18" barrel, 2100 with a 16, and 2250 with a 20. Min expansion is 2100fps. I tried to make the gmx work for a brush round but the speed is just not there to be viable.

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I shot the 130gr SST this weekend in my 16" BHW 6.8 and they actually shot really good. I think the first group of 5 measured 1.125" so im gonna load up some more and just use them for plinking.

130 grain bergers started out horrible but finally settled down to a .75" group.