Recommend me a Night Vision rifle scope under $2k

Brazos_Jack

I want to get a night vision scope for hunting hogs with my 6.8 SPC AR. Something in the 4x to 6x range. I don't need bells and whistles like picture taking capability or range finder. Is the Armasight Nemesis 6x-SD Gen 2+ any good? I see it several places for $1695. What are other good candidates in the same price range? I have never had any night vision optic and know next to nothing about them.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Save your money,wait another year to hunt,sell a gun or two . . whatever . . but go thermal.
Depending on your hunting conditions,the way you hunt,the distances you can expect to shoot,and many more factors,a thermal sight would be/will be so much better.
For not much more than 2K$'s you can . . . GO THERMAL !! ---- pruhdlr

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I see PVS-9 SIMRADs on ebay for $1,500 to $1,800 ... couple one of those up with an "adjusted" ELIR-3 illuminator and you would have a night hunting rig. That said, it will be heavy and bulky and you would be running it off of a tripod, not shooting standing unsupported.

35128E0D-0D4A-41E8-9C86-52BF5AD173A5_zpssx1fjucw.jpg

It will work for critters in the open, with an image equivalent to PVS-30 ... but whereas thermal can see critters IN the vegatation, the NV/Illuminator option cannot as the illumination bounces off the vegetation and washes out the image. The only times I can see in to woods with NV is when there is a bright moon over head illuminating the interior of the woods from overhead. And we turn off the illumination in that case and let the big flashlight in the sky handle that.

Having said that, I agree with prudir ... save for thermal ... but if you are dead set on moving now for under $2,000 then the low priced SIMRADs can get the job done, if you can put up with the weight and bulk. Life is full of trade-offs.

==
Oh, and like the PVS-30, the SIMRAD can support up to around 15x magnification on the day scope to the rear, so you can use your day scope reticle for elevation and wind holding if needed.

marineimaging

LSB Member
Consider Thor HD from ATN and just don't use the extras. I admit I am using the ATN Day/Night scope which is IR not thermal, but I hog hunt open field and can get something thermal only doesn't get which is eye reflection. This was my first night, still trying to adjust the IR source light and focus when the deer came into view. Now that I have the light source adjusted and know how to focus the imagery is a lot better. This is at about 60-70 yards away.

Attachments

• ATNX0022 (2).jpg
    ATNX0022 (2).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 2

Mattg1500

LSB Member
My dad has an armasight gen 1 scope and it is ok with a full moon. He paid 500 on sale.
I have an armasight clip on gen 2 and that is way more clear. It is qs not green and ive killed at 212yds with it on my Swarovski z3

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just stay away from ATN, their older THOR's were good but nothing else and little customer service. Save for Thermal, $1700 gets you a new pulsar

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Skip anything ATN unless your into pain and stress. Under 2k either the photon Rt 4.5x S or the RXQ30 core thermal.

Brazos_Jack

Save your money,wait another year to hunt,sell a gun or two . . whatever . . but go thermal.
Depending on your hunting conditions,the way you hunt,the distances you can expect to shoot,and many more factors,a thermal sight would be/will be so much better.
For not much more than 2K$'s you can . . . GO THERMAL !! ---- pruhdlr

OK, I keep getting some version of this advice. So I've started a thread asking for recommendations on the best thermal under $3k, Please go over to that new thread and help me figure out what I need.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just write Texaslawman, Todd Huey and ask what he has in stock or is coming soon