Reap-IR

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Picked up a new Reap-IR today from Cliff at ThirdCoastThermal. He has been very sincere, honest, helpful and accommodating throughout the past several weeks. Awesome customer service, worked out a good deal for me too!

I've only messed around with it for about 20 minutes, but it's very handy and the D-loc is very quick to attach and detach from the gun.
Going to the range tomorrow to sight it in on a 16" 6.8 and a 12.5" 6.8 and check the return to zero repeatability. Hopefully I can get out hunting with it on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm learning the single joystick control vs the 3 turrets on the MKII. The only small issue is that sometimes when u push the joystick up down left or right it registers 2 clicks.. kinda sensitive but that's just in the first 10 minutes of use. It has a main menu where u can navigate through 5 separate menu screens to do everything (looking forward to testing the range finder). If u press in on the the joystick
And hold it for a second it will switch to a shortcut/quick menu (not sure exactly what it's called). I really like this feature. it has 4 options by pressing the joystick up, down, left, and right. Right changes the zoom. Down nucs/calibrates (very easy to cover lens with one finger and click joystick down to calibrate/nuc). Up changes white/Black hot. Left changes the reticle. I really like the quick one handed ability to Nuc and then zoom in digitally for a shot. I'm not sure yet if u can change the quick menu settings.. if u can I will probably get rid of the reticle adjustment and add the contrast adjustment. Might also swap the white/black hot for brightness.
All in all it's very handy and can be removed from and out on the rifle very quickly and it's much lighter weight than the MKII, which i suppose is a trade off for durability.
I will update after sighting it in and hunting with it. OHH BOOIYY! (In a Mickey Mouse voice)

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the new toy !!!

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Reap-Ir is pretty slick I've enjoyed many, many hours a field with mine. With the D-lok base it's pretty easy to use the Reap as a mono and attach to rifle in seconds for a shot. I did that a lot this summer so I didn't have to pack so much gear everytime I went out.it makes a great "one" do it all type unit.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for posting your first impressions - looking forward to more comments after some field use. Congrats and enjoy!

JPK

LSB Active Member
The weight loss is no trade off for anything but weight!

I had the Patrol, and the REAP-IR is based on the Patrol. You will quickly get used to the controls, and not have the two click issue.

I'm Envious!

JPK

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First day at the range Tuesday trying to get the reap sighted in as well as my day optics with Bobro return to zero qd mounts. the Bobro mount seems to return to zero reaaallly well. The Reap is a liiitle more picky. at first I dont think I was tightening the Dloc down "consistently" with my hand... as in the difference between screwing it in until it stopped and screwing it in till it stops and then tightening it down about as tight as i could get it with my hand. This did seem to affect its return to zero. Theres a possibility that it could have been my own brain fart in not putting the reap back on the same rail slot each time, but i dont think that was it. The only other variable that i Could think of is that I Duracoated my upper camo and maybe the paint gradually coming off the rails where the mount bites down on them had some impact?
I went back to the range Thursday with the above in mid and started snugging it down on the rail with my hand "more consistently" as in not just stopping when i felt resistance, and not reaaally wrenching it down with my fingers.. somewhere in the middle/regular hand tight and it seems to be returning to zero much better...I might have noticed a 1/3 inch shift in impact at 50 yards, but that could also be human error. In the future i will play with it at 100 yards and see if its noticeable. After asking a few Reap owners, it seems to return to zero consistently within 1 moa if youre halfway consistent when screwing down the Dloc. It did the job on a couple hogs at well over 100 yards last night so thats good!!