Reap-IR

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anyone here running a Reap-IR system? I've been running a 2015 THOR 2.5X and MK II 1.5X the last year and was thinking of picking up a Reap-IR this spring . I like the fact it's so small and lite I could use it as a multi-use system scope/mono and still have the 2.5X lens vs the patrol 300 with 1X lens. Thanks for any user feedback.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I have a Patrol and love the compact size (magnification is 1.45x, same as the 19mm MK II.) I also have the 35mm MK II and find the native 2.45x magnification about ideal. The REAP-IR really seems like the perfect combination of the best traits of the two.

I am hoping that IRD offers a Patrol to REAP-IR upgrade, similar to the MK II to MK III upgrade they offer. I would definitely sign up for that.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have one if you want to look at it

more on order

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the info! I'm weighing my choices right now no super hurry to buy as I have a half dozen thermals right now. I think I really need a 640 class mono more than a scope that said a system like the Reap-IR can do both for a higher price. I'm just not sure it's worth the extra expensive when I already have a couple of very nice 640 scopes.

I've been looking at maybe just buying a basic patrol for viewing I don't need the head mount stuff been there,tried that and didn't like it with thermal. If it's around a true 1.5X that would be a plus for a hunting viewer.

Kind of like the looks,size and price of the Armasight Prometheus 640 25mm mono but don't much about this design and durability with heavy use. Also is it possible to mount a Neck lanyard on this model. How does it feel hand held??

The small size of the q14 looks pretty interesting also. That said The only guy I know that had one returned it to dealer within the return policy. It just wasn't he's cup of tea overall he said.

New FLIR Scout 640 price is good but I hope the performance has improved over my old scout 336 which was lower end of the 320 units I have owned and viewed through performance wise. I liked the housing a lot just the performance I though was lower.

The Eotech X640 18 degree looks good on paper , but I'm not sure if it really exist in the wild yet as there's nothing out there from real owners/users.

Last edited:

JPK

LSB Active Member
I used my (now sold) Patrol as a handheld quite a bit when I was hunting with a bud with his own thermal, or when I was hunting alone, and I used it as a handheld scanner when deer hunting too. The Patrol makes a great scanner, but it's capability is wasted as a scanner only, imo.

I found I was almost as happy with a Pulsar HD 19A (384, iirc) and a 640 scope, or the Patrol weapon mounted. If the 19A doesn't give me the definition I need, then a look through the scope does.

Off hand, I can't recall the price difference between the basic Patrol and the weapon mountable version, but if it isn't too much of a difference I would swing for weapon mountable version with the DLOC mount for versatility and potential dual use.

JPK

Mcgilbery

LSB Member
I have one on order from *******************. He had several scopes and the Reap-IR to look at. It was very light compared to the MKII and Zeus 3x75mm. My primary use will be LEO work at night along with hunting. I debated between buying a Pulsar Monocular and scope, but for a little more I got the Reap which I could use for both.