Range Day... Start 'em Young!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At the family gathering for Christmas yesterday, my cousin invited one of his grandsons to go shooting today... pretty soon he asked if I wanted to come along too. Before we knew it, one of his granddaughters was asking if she could come too. We had a party planned!!

Mikaela is in her second year of college. Not that many years ago, she was terrified of guns. She's come a LOOOONG way. With a couple minutes' worth of coaching on safely functioning the weapon, she was settling in and working the trigger just fine. Her groups aren't there yet, but, her mechanics of safe handling are just fine.

Mikaela003_zps0zeynoo7.jpg

Mikaela001_zpslxmlz2hf.jpg

Mikaela002_zpsivyh86sp.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Kellan is still in High School. He's got a Springfield 1903 .30-06 that he put a few rounds through... but, jumped at the chance of getting some AR15 trigger time in. He did real good with picking up on a lack of "click" for trigger reset... that meant the mag was empty. His groups were a little better. While Mikaela was shooting, he worked with his grandpa with his, and his grandpa's rifle.

Kellan002_zpsxgvfpn2v.jpg

Kellan003_zps3b3oqfoo.jpg

Kellan001_zpspm0agnxx.jpg

Both of them started out using my Colt Match Grade HBAR A2 (5.56). Later, they got to shoot my *** 6.8 carbine. Kellan picked up on the feel of the trigger being much better on the 6.8 too.

I could tell I haven't pulled a trigger in a couple of years... but, it sure felt good to get a few rounds down range. I DID (however), FINALLY pop the cherry on my Marlin Guide Gun !!! It's gonna need some range time to dial in the iron sights. It was about 6" (right) from POA at 100yds. What a joy to shoot however!! Nobody else wanted any of that one though. They were all happy to just watch me shoot it. LOL

I did get to test my "Unimag" (finally). It functioned flawlessly in the Colt, feeding the 5.56 rounds. I then loaded it up with 6.8 rounds and it (again) functioned flawlessly in the *** rig.

The kids were getting chilled, as was their grandpa... so, I didn't get to shoot much, but, it was fun to get the kids some trigger time behind some ARs. They both decided they enjoyed shooting the 6.8 more than the 5.56.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go guys and gal!! It was a heck of a day sea sir!!! And fun was had by all!!:) BANG BANG!!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice of you to take them shooting! That's the only way the next generation will follow our interests.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
way to go RD a great day!

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good story RD and time well spent - this (taking kids shooting) is what it's all about.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very Cool!

LSB Active Member
Ratdog you still running the Unimag? I received mine yesterday going to give it a rip this week. The ASC 30's work fine, but darn tough to load max capacity and too long for my liking...it's all I could find. CProducts on back order. Actually talked with the local distributor they have been back ordered on 20 round mags since November which is bizarre. Must be epic demand or maybe sourcing components or retooling something this next run is Gen 3? Apparently CPD has tons of 30 rounders ready to ship, but wanting 20's, got a 10 rounder on the way though. Just curious how your Unimag is holding up. Loads just as easy from round 1 to round the last I think it was 24 with 7.62x39. Unloads super easy too.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My Unimag is still working.