Quieter on a pistol??

DangerRanger

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So I'm clearly missing something. I just received my tax stamp for my first suppressor: an AAC Prodigy dedicated for .22.

Shooting standard CCI .22 LR ammo, it is making a SIGNIFICANT difference with the noise on my Walther P22.

However when I attach it to my CZ 455 .22 rifle, I can hardly tell if the noise is being reduced or not. Which blows my mind because I figured the longer barrel would be more quiet than the short barrel. But I am very new to the suppressor world.

So what am I missing? Why is there not a clear difference in the rifle noise being reduced with the suppressor? I know when the suppressor is not being used at all, the pistol is WAY louder than the rifle.

What suppressor would you recommend for the rifle?

D

djones

cmon ranger, you know better than that. standard 22 ammo is subsonic in a pistol. i think any 22 ammo is subsonic in a 4" pistol.

try subs in the rifle

DangerRanger

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
cmon ranger, you know better than that. standard 22 ammo is subsonic in a pistol. i think any 22 ammo is subsonic in a 4" pistol.

try subs in the rifle
Yeah but I'm trying hard to avoid subsonic rounds. Not a fan of the ballistics or lack of energy.

I shot standard .22 LR ammo in a Dark Horse Fully Suppressed Barrel once, stupid quiet. I didn't expect this to be as quiet, but was shocked at how there was hardly a difference with or without the suppressor from the CZ with the Prodigy.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah but I'm trying hard to avoid subsonic rounds. Not a fan of the ballistics or lack of energy.

I shot standard .22 LR ammo in a Dark Horse Fully Suppressed Barrel once, stupid quiet. I didn't expect this to be as quiet, but was shocked at how there was hardly a difference with or without the suppressor from the CZ with the Prodigy.
I believe the fully suppressed barrels are basically a short pistol barrel with a really long suppressor. As with your pistol the velocity was subsonic when you shot standard ammo through it.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The above comments are all spot on. The standard velocity .22 ammo is right at supersonic and with rifle length barrels it is definitely supersonic. You don't notice much difference because there isn't much of a blast with a .22 at rifle length barrels, but you can't avoid the crack of the sound barrier being broken by the bullet. A pistol is a different story. With a pistol's short barrel, the blast of the round going off is much more noticeable and there isn't a crack because the round stays subsonic. Try some of the "suppressor" rounds in your rifle. They are designed with only about 50 fps less velocity which keeps them subsonic in rifles but still have decent ballistics. Hope that explains it a little more.

DangerRanger

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Alright, just ordered a couple boxes from Selway. We will see.

Curious if that's true about the Dark Horse Barrels. They're a shorter barrel in a really long suppressor on a rifle platform?

Last edited:

Rappland

LSB Member
When I was briefly looking at suppressed barrels for my 10/22, it looked like a short barrel and a suppressor attached covered by a sleeve making it appear as a bull barrel. Barrels look to be about 8 inches or so.

DangerRanger

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
When I was briefly looking at suppressed barrels for my 10/22, it looked like a short barrel and a suppressor attached covered by a sleeve making it appear as a bull barrel. Barrels look to be about 8 inches or so.
Interesting

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just tried box of standard velocity. It's sub sonic in three different 16 inch barrel rifles I own.

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like everyone was on it. On a pistol it will go subsonic and a rifle will go super. For your integral silencer the barrel is ported so you are loosing velocity and it is going subsonic.