Quick shot on Boar, Moving Shot on Distant Coyote

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Landowner in St. Jo said he was having problems in the west pasture and I did find some fresh rooting there. That is his cash crop hay pasture. So I cancelled my regular trip to TBR and guarded the pasture for several hours with no luck.

Before going home, I decided to walk about the east side of the property. I spied the hog with my handheld thermal and it kept disappearing on me. So I stalked about 150 yards or so closer to where it was after having lost it. What I did not realize is that there was a water retention berm and a steep dropoff behind it. That is where the hog was and where I finally glimpsed him again and not wanting to lose him again, shot him almost immediately. That went surprisingly well.

Did a little necropsy work and then headed back up the hill to finish my circuit when almost immediately I saw a coyote moving along. She was downwind and uphill from me and did not respond to my lipsqueaking. Even worse, she was moving away and was about to crest the ridge. I dropped her on the move at 182 paces.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And another great video! Looks like me and angry bird would get along great.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well done! Congrats nice shooting

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another good shot on a long distant target! Nice hog too.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang sniper, you seem to be even more deadly with that mk3. Would you say you like it more than your zeus? Great kills!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice going! Enjoyed the commentary.
So, Angry Bird only rides in the truck? My Father-in-Law's dog was like that …

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang sniper, you seem to be even more deadly with that mk3. Would you say you like it more than your zeus? Great kills!

You know, I have this place now that has a lot of longer distance views and the potential for longer distance shooting. The extra native magnification of the 4.5x IR Hunter MKIII is really beneficial in that situation for folks like me. Folks could do as much or more with less scope, but the extra magnification is really nice.

I am still having troubles with the extra magnification and ranging. I was very used to my 3x Zeus. So now the rule of is that if I am on 2x magnification (9 power) and the animal doesn't look relatively large, then it is just too far away. It is a crude assessment, but works on a very generalized level.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hog and coyote down! Both 1st round KO!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Despite putting in my time, a sneaky bugger came in after I left. The landowner sent me this pic. The barn you see in this pic is the barn I was using for a wind break for most of the evening. The rooting you see is just a few yards from a spot I used as a position to scan the back of the adjoining pasture that I could not see when I was at the barn. ERRRRRR!

20170330_125828.jpeg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What may be worse than that...I have been whining about not having any place to shoot hogs right now....So I go looking for one of my calves this afternoon on my 5 acres of brush/grass and it is torn up. 50 yds from my door they were bedded under a big mesquite tree. Looks like they were here in my yard for 2-3 days and I never knew it....crazy.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those ARE some nice cutters on that big ol' boy. Appreciate the necropsy efforts on so many of your kills too. Nice to learn what's happening inside the critter during the kill.

Love a good bang-flop like on that 'yote too. Nice work again B.

Now, go Ninja that beast taunting you after your departure.