Questionable Question!

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
I know I'm opening myself up to justifiable but unkind responses to this question but here goes...

I've got a 6.8 AR with Mega upper/lower and AR15Performance stainless barrel. Always been tack driver. Now it's creating the same half dozen shots in MOA but it's 10" high!!! Tried three scopes plus N750 (which by-the-way is for sale for a grand) and had exactly the same results. Using various reloads with same results. What could cause that?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How long since you did a good copper purging of the bore? Any chance you nicked the crown?

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Flash suppressor pretty well protects the crown and I haven't really ran enough rounds through it to build copper but you made me think of something - not to long ago one of my rifles fell out of the safe, don't remember now which one it was, but it could have been the AR. What should I look for? Something about the rail?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Before rail... I'd closely inspect the inside of the muzzle device for strikes... if it fell/took a hit to the M/D. I'd still go back and rule out the easiest fix... do a copper foul cleaning. Especially if you've changed bullet brands.

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Ok, will do, thanks. Let you know what I find.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds to me the scope got adjusted for you when it fell. Remove and replace the scope then re sight in and see how it goes.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds to me the scope got adjusted for you when it fell. Remove and replace the scope then re sight in and see how it goes.
I wondered that at first too, but, he said he's tried three scopes with the same results. "?"

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Maybe the rail on top? Barrel came loose? Copper? At this point I would take the upper apart and put back together checking all parts.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm confused as to how you try different scopes and get the same results without sighting them in first?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm confused as to how you try different scopes and get the same results without sighting them in first?

That is why I discounted that part initially...same question here

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some "one piece" mounts reliably "return to zero" when removing/re-installing them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think we need more input...he is probably pulling out his hair right now, I would be

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I guess my thought was based on whether the OP happens to have three scopes lying around that were previously sighted in for that rifle.

For me that would be very unlikely but that may be normal for others.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Remove muzzle device and look for strikes and/or damaged. Particularly at the 6 o'clock position as the device is mounted now.

Check to see if the barrel is loose. I would suspect you to have feed and extraction issues if it was.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Is it possible/probable to get a muzzle device strike and still maintain high accuracy as he indicated?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Maybe he has Bells Palsy and his eye is drooping inside his skull.....but then he would probably have issues tying his shoes and such so forget I brought it up.

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Maybe he has Bells Palsy and his eye is drooping inside his skull.....but then he would probably have issues tying his shoes and such so forget I brought it up.

HaHa! I think that one hit it on the head! Give Dan a cupey doll! lol

Thanks guys, lots of things to check and will be doing it this week. Believe it or not I do have 2 Nikons and a Leupold in the drawer, and N750. I haven't been spending a lot of time on this problem, just put the AR back in the safe and moved on to the next issue. I was going hunting for a week and wanted to take it so took it to range last Sunday, had same result so put it back in safe and took 30-06 TC.

Will post results...

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Inquiring minds........