Question on EOTech

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Question. I have never used an EOTech type of sight. I don't understand what they are and why are they so expensive. Looks like a piece of plastic with a window to look through. Anybody fill me in a bit. Thanks
Also, what is the advantage/disadvantage over a scope?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Because when u look through the sight u just have to put the red dot on the target. U don't have to line up the rear sight with the front sight like u would on standard iron sights. And u don't have to have your eye lined up perfectly straight behind a day scope at a certain eye relief like u would on a day scope. I believe it's also easier to shoot with both eyes open so u can see more in your peripheral vision. Basically it's a lot faster and easier to get in target. If your eye isn't directly in line with the barrel the dot will move around the window of the sight to where it needs to be. If u can see the red dot in the holographic window, whether it's centered in the window or in the upper right hand corner of the window, just put it on your target and squeeze.

There is no need to line up your red dot with the front and or rear sight posts if your gun has them also (look up co-witnessing sights)

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They are battle optics for CQB or short range type shooting. It allows the shooter to shoot with both eyes open and acquire your target quickly while walking or running, shots will not be super accurate but you will hit what your aiming at in a short period of time. Then they offer additional magnifiers that allow for a more concentrated precision shot when accuracy is needed. It allows a platform to be modular and fill different roles as a situation changes. Why are they expensive? ruggedness and build quality. Kinda like your expensive scopes it is all about quality. There are eotech copies out there like sightmark, but from personal experience they break when you need them the most and my eotech has not given me that yet.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree sightmark, nc star etc are garbage and a complete waste of money. There are some budget optics that will work fine though like primary arms, but they aren't guaranteed to be built to mil spec ruggedness

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, do you guys all use them or no.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use a nv compatible one in front of a pvs-14 and a 3x magnifier. I think wassman uses the same set up. Not sure if he uses the 3x magnifier also though. It's a similar concept to how Txlawman now uses the armasight apollo thermal clip on in front of his 1-6 vortex day scope.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
if you have an astigmatism, the Eotech will let you know

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, do you guys all use them or no.

I have several eotechs and I love them they are fast. I use them on my hunting rifles and on my work rifle. I can also use my iron sights to co witness with the eotech if so desired, and as backups if anything fails which only one of mine has but it was an original made way back when bushnel made them, not to the standards they are made today. I prefer the exps3-0

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have 4 eotechs and like them all. I specifically use them with a pvs14 and 3x magnifier behind it. They are very fast, reliable, and versatile. I've used them mounted on rifles, pistols, and shotguns.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
The Eotech is also parallax free. Meaning as you move your head or gun around, even if the dot is on the edge of the display, the bullet will go where the dot is.

Even though they are 1x, can add 3x , 5x, etc magnifiers. I have a 3x magnifier with flip mount and quick release to use during the day and remove the magnifier for night and slap on my PVS-14.

Not all Eotechs are night vision compatible, so if planning to use with a PVS-14, have to select the right one.

Here is an Eotech EXPS3-0 with the PVS. I also have a 3x magnifier for the PVS:

151230527.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice setup!

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice setup indeed!
Dave, I use basically the same setup at night, and am contemplating shelling out the $$$ for the Eotech 3x flip mag. Question - do you move your Eotech forward to the rail when using pvs14/3x, and then back on the receiver when using the day magnifier? My Eotech has to be on the rail since the pvs with 3xmag takes up all the space on the receiver. Therefore I am wondering if the day magnifier will work, in regards to having proper eye relief, without having to move the Eotech backwards to the rail. Once zeroed, I don't like to move my sights around if possible.

And Dan, I'm an old bolt gun/3-9x scope hunter, so when I first stared using an Eotech I figured I would be very limited in range due to it being 1x. But I've found I can hit pretty consistent out to 100 yds (even with my aging eyes) which is much better than I can do with ironsights. When using the Eotech/pvs14/3x magnifer at night I've taken 2 hogs at 200 & 240 yds, which surprised me because I'm an average shot at best. At night with the 3x mag, I can routinely make 100-150 yd kill shots (yeah I miss some too!) This is why I'm now interested in Eotech's 3x day magnifier. It costs as much as their damn sight, but I have found this is a very versatile, high quality system. It's combat proven and as so others have said tough as nails.

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice setup indeed!
Dave, I use basically the same setup at night, and am contemplating shelling out the $$$ for the Eotech 3x flip mag. Question - do you move your Eotech forward to the rail when using pvs14/3x, and then back on the receiver when using the day magnifier? My Eotech has to be on the rail since the pvs with 3xmag takes up all the space on the receiver. Therefore I am wondering if the day magnifier will work, in regards to having proper eye relief, without having to move the Eotech backwards to the rail. Once zeroed, I don't like to move my sights around if possible.

And Dan, I'm an old bolt gun/3-9x scope hunter, so when I first stared using an Eotech I figured I would be very limited in range due to it being 1x. But I've found I can hit pretty consistent out to 100 yds (even with my aging eyes) which is much better than I can do with ironsights. When using the Eotech/pvs14/3x magnifer at night I've taken 2 hogs at 200 & 240 yds, which surprised me because I'm an average shot at best. At night with the 3x mag, I can routinely make 100-150 yd kill shots (yeah I miss some too!) This is why I'm now interested in Eotech's 3x day magnifier. It costs as much as their damn sight, but I have found this is a very versatile, high quality system. It's combat proven and as so others have said tough as nails.
Do you have to buy 2 units then? Is there not such a thing as one unit with 3x?

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use a Burris trippler with their mount for day shooting on my rig. My optic is also on the rail and I run the 3x pretty far back. I can see the dot fine just the FOV is cut off a bit.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do you have to buy 2 units then? Is there not such a thing as one unit with 3x?

To my knowledge there isn't a single unit. I have seen both units (the red dot sight & the magnifier) sold as a combo which may save a little $$ but the entry price is still steep, least for my pocketbook.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is not. I'm not very familiar with them but there are 4x acogs by trijicon and you can get an adjustable 1-4 or 1-6 power scope like lawman uses that is also supposed to be pretty quick to get on target. But these aren't holographic

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Nice setup indeed!

Not with that setup, that I had setup at one time, which is an 8.5" 300 Blackout. But with other guns like my 10.5" .223 Wylde I use the magnifier, which goes across both rails:

original.jpg

Or mounted on my 14.7" 7.62x40WT:

146938509.jpg